Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TSM Brake Information

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DPI, Oct 18, 2000.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I wanted to let you all know what I found out today when ordering my 14-bolt FF disc brake kit. They no longer use the Ford rotors. They now use 1973-1987 3/4 ton standard duty 4x4 Chevrolet rotors. The brackets are completely different from the older style that accommodates the Ford rotors. The kit, which includes bolts, washers, caliper brackets, and Chevy rotors is now $299.95 + $50 for the 8" brake lines that connect to the existing metal lines on the axle to the caliper. The brackets only are $180, which is up $60 from the older style a bracket. The bad part is the new brackets are on back-order, but should be in within a couple of days. I also wanted to let you know how helpful they (Skip) are at TSM. He can answer any questions and is more than willing to give any technical help possible. All I can say it was a very good experience!

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Did they give a reason for changing the rotors? I just installed the F250 rotor kit a week or two and it went very easy. is it because of the stud hole difference in the ford rotors?</font color=blue>

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

My guess is to the change is the lug size, with the Chevy rotors you should not have to modify the rotors or the lugs.

Did he say they still use the Caddy Eldo calipers?

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You are correct. They said with the Chevy rotors no modifications have to be made and it is a direct bolt-on installation. Yes, you can still use the 76-78 El Dorado calipers if you want a mechanical emergency brake or the 71-77 Chevy caliper with no mechanical e-brake. He did say I could use my calipers off of my 1990 10 bolt front end, but I have to purchase a different brake line(metric). I am replacing my 10 bolt with a D60 so I have the extra brake parts available.