Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TSM brakes with rear anti-lock

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Feb 11, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Now that I have the 60 in, I need to install my TSM rear disk brake kit, before I do this however, I have a few questions, I have rear anti-lock brakes and am wondering if I should by-pass those all together or if there is something else that can be done. Anyone with rear disk setup on a 90-91? I am inclined to ditch the anti-lock alltogether, I need my brakes on the loose stuff.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Steve,

Sorry, this has nothing to do with your question, but just wondering, what kind of calipers are you going with?? Caddy with Ebrake, or just the regular 3/4ton calipers?? Thanks
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Steve,

Usually there is a ring with some little grooves cut into it. It looks like a sprocket. There will also be a magnetic pickup with a wire coming off the pickup. If the rear is not of this type, I don't know what to say. If the origional 10blt had it I doubt it would be working right now. If its not that type, it must have some sort of meetring system on the master cylinder. But there has to be something some where, it could be on the T-case, or speedo. But somehow it has to know which tires are skidding and not skidding.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

4. CK5

I'm going with the caddy calipers with e-brake, I believe the anti-lock equipment is in line under the master some where but that is not my problem, I was just wondering if anybody used it or if I have to ditch it completly.

Steve
    [​IMG]

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve, Did you get the check for the Cover?
    I installed the TSM kit on my 14 bolt. I have the newer kit with the chevy rotors and I used the Cadillac calipers. They work good with the anti-lock brakes. The brake pedal seems to move down maybe a half inch more than with the factory 10 bolts before you start slowing, but you have a lot more stopping power after that. I do have a D60 in the front and the Corp 14 bolt in the rear. So there is more fluid to move. If you use the Cadillac calipers after you are comfortable that all the air is out of the system (I bled my brakes about 6 times before I got a good brake pedal) you need to adjust the emergency brake lever on the calipers. This will greatly improve your brake pedal.

[​IMG]

6. CK5

I sent the cover out this morning, I have a 60 also, was concerned about the anti-lock, TSM said I didn't need the proportioning valve, but I got it just in case I want to loose the anti-lock brakes, TSM also said disk brakes take less fluid to operate, I think when I am finished I am going to have the brakes power bled. Did your factory ebrake hook up to the caddy ebrake calipers OK?

Steve
    [​IMG]

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I did not use the proportioning valve and have not had any problems yet. It may be due to the anti-lock brakes not letting the rears lock-up. No, the factory e-brake cables did not work and I do not currently have e-brakes. From the way the setup looks, I may have to fabricate some brackets that will bolt onto the housing somewhere for the cable jacket to run and connect to and then have some custom cables made.
    If you have any ideas on the e-brake setup let me know.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

That is one of my main concerns about running the TSM with the Caddy calipers. Is the fact that it seems that everyone I've seen that run the TSM with the Caddy calipers do not have cables for their ebrake anyways. Are there anyone out there that have the cables made and hooked up?? Just wondering that's all. [​IMG]
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

9. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Hay guys if your looking to keep some kind of e-brake set up

this is real easy and cheap get a line lock and set it up. You can do just rear or all 4 wheels

my freindhas them setup for all 4 way better than than factory. Hope this helps

Bo

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve,
    Take another look at the TSM catalog they sent you. There is a name/number of a company that will make you some custom ebrake lines. I haven't heard from anyone who has bought them, but if TSM recommends them, they must work. :)
    -- Mike
    BTW, I just cheesed out and bought $12 GM calipers.

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Steve...work on ABS every day it seems...on semi's but its all the same...abs is a piggy back system ...meaning if it develops a problem...the foundation brakes still work. Since i do not own anything as new as that 91 of yours...lol...i remember the early RWAL brakes having a sensor inside the rear pumkin....with the reluctor being on the ring gear...as apposed to machining one into each rear brake drum with 2 sensors in each backing plate..which the sensors generate a small amount of a/c voltage which is sent to the abs ecm ...if one of the readings is below each other or a specific value you abs will slow the appropriate wheel down to compensate for the wheel slip it is seeing. If you need any help send me a private and i can call you at home from work since i work nights...and resolve this issue.

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban