Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TSM screwed up my order

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Sep 29, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I got what I thought was my TSM 14 bolt ff brakets today. I opened it up and saw an entire kit and hoses when I asked ONLY for the brackets and hoses. The brackets are 120 and the parts place near me told me 35 each for the rotors so I paid an extra 110 for bolts [​IMG]. If I send this back, can I get the hardware at the local Sear's Hardware? The only special items I saw were the spacer thingys with the two holes
    Also, I ordered a pair of 76 eldo calipers from a junkyard I found on http://www.planetsalvage.com and the calipers came with the arms and springs. Isnt there another part I need?</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

You should be able to return the calipers and have them return your money. If thats the only thing you ordered, then thats all you should get. What spacers are you talking about? That could be to mount the brake lines in which is optional.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The spacers he is talking about are simply because the brackets are two piece - the spacers goes between them.
    You could make a one-piece brackets, but it is obviously cheaper to make it two-piece (you'd have to see it.)
    What hoses are you talking aboit, biggray? My kit came with the brackets, the rotors, and the hardware.
    I bought the calipers/pads and rubber brake lines. I didn't know they dols any hoses in the kit.
    -- Mike

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I got the short braided hoses from TSM because the hoses I was going to use were shot. Now that I think of it, I'de rather have it all here (even though it costed more) then send it back and wait. I took off the drums and backing plates today. does anyone have a picture of how the p-brake cable hooks up to the calipers?</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

5. Shawn

My TSM FF 14 kit came with the spacers and brackets welded together. I never got any separate spacers. I'm about ready to order my e-brake cables so I don't have any pics yet. TSM told me to switch the right and left side Eldo calipers so the cable doesn't have to run underneath the axles. Here's some pics of mine:
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/tsm

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, the reason your brackets are different from mine is because they used to make the brackets themselves. It's only like 4 guys doing all the work. Too much work, not enough guys/shop. They are farming out the work now.
    I had to wait a couple extra weeks because my kit (14bff) was the 1st to be made by the new guys. Not sure if that's good or not, but it works. Only gripe is the supplied bolts were about 1/4 or 1/2 inch too short.
    -- Mike

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey Shawn, since you've swapped sides with your calipers, doesn't that place the bleed screw upside down? If so, how are you bleeding it? Power bleed? Vacuum bleed? What?

ken

8. Shawn

You are correct Ken. That puts the bleeder screw upside down. With TSM's flexable lines, you can unbolt the caliper and rotate it so that the bleeder screw is facing up. The caliper is still on the rotor just not bolted down. After you bleed the calipers, you can move the caliper back in the proper position and install the two caliper bolts. It's a little of a pain but the e-brakes cables will probably function better mounted this way.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Great Shawn, thanks for the tip! That's what I plan to do, install my calipers upside down...much better for the e-brake lever not to be hanging down!!

ken