Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tub removel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bandit, May 27, 2001.

1. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

WHats the best way to to remove a tub with out any body damage?? i can use any knd of equipent IE highster backhoe tractorand chain ect. it has 2 inch body lift on it also if this is any help

Bandit aka AJ
    Ahh look at that cute little jeep i think my 3yr old niece has one like that KNOW MOVE IT OUT OF THE WAY!

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

hey aj!well the best/easiest way is to use a lift lift the body then roll out the frame BUT,not everyone has access to one.IMOthe next damage free way to remove the tub would be to get all the friends you have together and lift it by hand.(ouch)thats about the best ways i can think of to do it.unless you want to try to lift the tub and stick some kind of channel or i beams under the tub and make a sling of some sort.

later steve

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

3. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

Well i Did it!!!!!!! i used the backhoe and tow starpes and it wokr really well tell i hit a bump and the body started swing then it came back and hit the front of the backhoe but there only little dents from that and i theres 2 real real minor dents in teh rear wheel where lifted i have pics ill get hte up this week

Bandit aka AJ
    Ahh look at that cute little jeep i think my 3yr old niece has one like that KNOW MOVE IT OUT OF THE WAY!

4. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

I used two 24" hydraulic cylinders and jacked it up, used 4x4's and jacked it up untill I got it on 4x4's and 55 gallon barrels. Then I rented a small trailer (ditch whitch) and lowered it onto the trailer and moved it to a better place. Now I can work on the frame and the body at the same time. I have pictures if you want me to email them to you. Bill

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Bill (45acp)

I'd like an email copy of those pics if you wouldn't mind. My email is in my profile. Thanks

I've had my tub perched on the back tires for a month now waiting to come off. I've thought of several ways to do it but all involve building some sort of lift system.

i think I'm going to get some steel & make a tall cherry picker that can lift the body, engine, tranny, or whatever I need using my 12-ton bottleneck jack mounted near the hinge.

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Brian, I will email the pictures on Tuesday when I get back to Tucson. Bill

7. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

Thats sounds like a good way my way wasnt too bad but it would have been easyer if i sed the hyster

Bandit aka AJ

8. nd_4_mud

nd_4_mud Registered Member

We did the project of removing the old tub and replaced it in one day. And we used one 4x4 a 3/8 cable, some straps and a tree with a good limb. What a project that was. But it was an adventure in the making.

9. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

We used a bridge crane on a concrete block truck for mine, that was just too easy!! Luckily someone at a local concrete plant owed one of my buddies a favor. It only took a half hour to swap the bodies!

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, this is how I got the body off my 66 GTO when doing a frame off. No special equipment and I did it with just me and my wife.

First, put the smallest tires on it you can. Then, get 2 strong poles (steel tubing or strong, clean (no knots or defects) 4x4s) about 12' long or more and a pile of 12" cinder blocks plus at least 8 4" caps. After stripping the tub it should not be too much trouble to use 2x4s or whatever to lift the tub enough to get the poles between the frame and tub. One goes across the rear, and one just behind the firewall (tranny out, if not, you'll have to figure something out). Then, stack blocks under the pole ends until you can't get more in there. Make sure you have at least 1 foot of pole past the blocks to hold on to. Working on one corner at a time, you lift the pole just enough to slide a 2" cap underneath and set it down. Each time you build up 2 cap blocks, replace them with a 12" block on the next circuit. As you get higher, it may be necessary to build up a surface to stand on so that you can lift with your legs. Longer poles will give a bit more leverage but will also be more likely to bend or break if not strong enough. We went round and round with my GTO until the tires would role under the body, then we just rolled the "rolling chassis" out of my shop. Be careful, obviously this is not too stable. After carefully removing the chassis (do NOT get under (or too close to) the body) I lowered the body to a more reasonable height with a more stable arrangement of stands under the body before fooling with it.

BTW, I made these stands using 4 old 20" heavy truck wheels that I picked up for free. I took each one and welded the end of a large diameter, heavy wall drive shaft (out of a “medium duty truck but 3/4-1 ton should do) into the center of the wheel so that it stood about 24" tall. Then, I used some 4" square tube to make a cross bar about 8' long that locked into the top of the uprights (there was a heavy section of inverted channel used as a cradle) with 1/2" pins. All this was gusseted for added strength. Originally, I just used the u-joint “C” shaped ends until I made the cross bars for this project. Heavy as @#%^ but not going anywhere...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.