Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tub swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kcze9159, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Kcze9159

Kcze9159 Registered Member

I had another post going about my new K5. Someone sent me a reply about thinking about doing a tub swap on it, and I was wondering, what parts would this take care of not needing to fix? Just the rear quarters and rear bed floor? how would I go about doing something like this, how much work is invloved? TIA

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know how bad your rust is but my rear floor area is gone, also the rear quarters and above the wheel on the rear. For me to fix all the rust back there would be a very time consuming job, as well as a PITA. I finally found a rust free rear half (box) of a blazer. After the donor tub is prepped, I'll need one good Saturday at work to make the swap and my rust is gone. Much easier.
    I would have swapped the entire body but I couldn't find a complete tub that was in good enough condition to bother.

HTH

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Kcze9159

Kcze9159 Registered Member

Whats involved in the swap, prep wise? noticed you had said you were prepping the box there.

My truck has abour 3" rot holes above the wheelwell opening on each side, weak rusty metal for first 5-6" on either side of the wheelwell, bad bad rockers (one is 2/3 missing), some floor holes but I havent gotten the carpet out yet. Suprisingly enough, tailgate is rustfree and original :) Truck sat in a guys yard only occasionally towing a bassboat around for its 21 year life. The floors in front of the rear seat are GONE, nothing really there esp at the corners, and I know that although the floor supports my weight it cant be all to there.... not sure about the rear bed floor, but the front floor boards have a few holes.....

I can see removing the fiberglass top, then what would be done? make sure the cut points on the body were smooth and level?

4. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

You may want to get in touch with 79Jimmy. He swapped a 91 body onto his 79. There were subtle differences in the fire wall and windshield wiper placement, but he did the whole thing himself.

His e-mail address is: 79Jimmy@sprint.ca

He is a buddy of mine and could probably answer most of your questions.

Good Luck,

72Blazerod

http://72blazerod.coloradok5.com