Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tub Swaping

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blaznjon, Jan 12, 2005.

1. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

I live a half mile or so from the ocean and The body on my 76 Blazer is rusting away by the windshield to the point that if I put her on her side one more time the roofs going to fall off.I no somebody here must have swaped different year tubs before. Whats the difference in frames ,mounts between 73-89 blazers?I know that there are different body mounting bushings for the different years.And that newer blazers have a different floor by the back seat.Can I put just about eny of those year bodys on my frame by changeing body mounting bushings?.Or would a newer then 76 ,80`s blazer tub not clear the frame around the back seat area.Enybody done this before? Thanks Jon

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Anything is possible if you want to fab up/move bushing mounts. But the easiest way your going to have is to swap tub with a tub of the same floor layout. I don't know exactly when that changed tho.

3. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

Thanks,I was afraid of that.I guess its time for more cutting and welding.Jon

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You'll more or less be stuck with a 73-77 tub if you keep that frame. In 78 they added the rear passenger footwell, which also required that the frame be different. If you try and put a 78 or newer tub on that frame the footwell will hit your current frame rails and not allow the body to sit down on the frame.

A 77 or older tub, or a 78 or newer donor frame and body would be your best bet. Mixing and matching also leads to hand fabricating the body mounts right behind the front seats (mid body or #3 position)

Rene

5. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

tub swap

Rene is right, I have a 1977 blazer under restore now and a 78 waiting for fabrication.

The body of the 77 was crap so I cut it off the frame with a disk cutter and litte did I know that the 78 body was not going to fit due to the mounts being different so I got stuck with two blazers with different body/frame patterns, your best bet is to check the junkyards in your community due to the fact that your near the ocean or the classifieds too, thats how I found the 76 4x2 for $500.00 with a good sound tub with no engine.
    Check around your state you may get lucky.
    Mike