Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tubbed rear and jeep seat? Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by TruckNutzDude, Jun 10, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I just installed my 64" springs out back and realize I need to tub my K5 to clear the 39.5" Boggers at full flex. I hate losing the rear seat but it looks like there won't be any room for it. I was thinking a Jeep rear seat might fit between the wheel wells but I'd like more opinions. I'd also like to request some pictures of modified wheel wells even without a rear seat. Thanks, Rob /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Could do side-facing seats, a la the old Land Rovers and I think some of the TLC's have them... they're also called "troop seats" for that reason, kinda like the CUCV pickups and HMMWV's, but obviously much smaller.

I think somebody here was muttering about these the other week, might threatened to post pix...

-- A

3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One of the steps in the ORD blazer had wider wheel wells made from a donor blazer or truck. We just cut the existing off just before the bend down and added the donors over the top of the originals just spaced in a few inches.
    They worked out pretty well and then you can use either a jeep seat or two small buckets.

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I know by truck is still only a Blazer at heart but I have a bench seat from a Jeep for the kids and it will fit between the rear tires. If you want I can measure mine.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

See that is why i think it would be cool to make a burb in to a truggy b/c id still have the rear seat and plenty of room.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm doing the troop seats that was posted about last week or so. Or at least one that is. This all came about due to the narrowing of the rear sheet metal and still wanting to maintain a backseat of some sort for the kids and be weather proof. Mine is an 85 blazer. I have yet to do the rear seats but they will be attached to the cage facing inward at a 45 degree angle towards the front. If not enough room for that maybe straight in. I thought of going at a 45 to save rear leg room but it might not work out. Just some of my thoughts on this subject.

7. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    One of the steps in the ORD blazer had wider wheel wells made from a donor blazer or truck. We just cut the existing off just before the bend down and added the donors over the top of the originals just spaced in a few inches.
    They worked out pretty well and then you can use either a jeep seat or two small buckets.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly how I'll be modifying my K5. I've got 3 Blazers going to the junkyard and everything good is going onto my Blazenstein creation. I didn't find any posts on the troop seats, does anyone have a link saved for it? Good info so far, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

What year are the blazers that are going to be scraped?

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't your rig scraped enough, Steve? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

("scraped" vs "scrapPed" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

-- A

10. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'73, '79 and '81 on '78 chassis. I already scrapped the '87 I had a few weeks ago. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'73, '79 and '81 on '78 chassis. I already scrapped the '87 I had a few weeks ago. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sent you a PM /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. TruckNutzDude

Replied /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif