Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube and narrow rear now or wait?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 13, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ok I've decided the K5 will not be my daily driver(gonna buy a Suzuki Sammi for that duty) so the K5 can go a little more hardcore than I planned before. I was thinking I should just run leaf springs at all 4 corners with full body(well trimmed) for a few months then go on to the future coil rear and narrowed, bobbed, and tubed rear. Now After removing some more rear floorpan metal and taking out my gas tank I step back and thing I should just cut the back off and narrow it now. I wanted to wheel it as a full body and bash her up a little bit(never know how much tubing would improve it then) but I am doing it now so should I just go for it? If I do tube and narrow the rear I will stick with the leaf springs for now and maybe next spring or summer go to 4 link and coils. Especially like to hear local opinions, narrowing on our trail systems think its a good idea? could help me get through some tighter trails.
    <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1068766485sled_dog">

To tube and narrow or not to, that is the question...
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Cut the body off and tube it!
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Stick with the body and bash it for now.
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Might as well go for it now. Might just save you doing more work in the future.

I'm about to chop down my rear also. I am 90% done with the front.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm gonna do the rear first whenever I do it. Won't be like you or watson though keeping bedsides, just be tube and sheetmetal. And since I am planning to install a diamond plate floorpan and diamond plate wheel tubs in the back I think it would be more work to do it later than now.

4. Sandman

The rear would be easier. I kind of wish I had started there as well. Less things to worry about.

I sometimes wonder if I should have just gone to an S10 body or something.

I would have missed the Blazer look though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats the big thing I will miss the blazer look. Seeing as all there will be will be the front end(for how long who knows) and the cab it will be gone. I think I'm leaning towards just bobbing the rear and shortening the bed followed by a narrowed front end someday using fender skins(like your project).

6. Sandman

I think the front end will eventually work out well but it has really ballooned. In the beginning I had visions of just cutting down the core support, bending in the fenders, chopping the hood and going. I have spent hours putting on and taking off the fenders and making cuts and adjusting the core support position and then going over it again. There are a few things that I would do different next time but it has become very involved.

It would have been much easier to have just cut away the headlights and just put like snow plow lights on it. In keeping the grill and the headlights, it became trial and error to make everything work out. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think overall, I did lose some good weight. I have a good metal pile in the back of the garage. If I can put in a good weekend. I should be done with it.

Then the back! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

narrowing/tubing etc is kick azz, but at some point you're gonna wanna be even smaller to fit on those heep/yota trails. Might was well go s-10 + exo now. thats my long term plan, it just seems to make sense to me. S-10 cab swaps are cool and, assuming its built right, can be much more civilized than truggys tend to be. no reason why a hardcore trail/rock rig couldnt be your DD as well... and you wouldnt feel like you're sitting in a jungle gym cause all the tube is outside. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just make the doors easy to remove for your wheelin trips and you're set. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

BASH IT!!!

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've considered the S10 swap but the only real issue I have there is my SM465. Would have to convert to hydro clutch and no idea how the shifter would work out.

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Aren't you going about this a little backward? Make the K5 the tow rig and winter truck, and make a buggy out of the sami!!!

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haha don't even get me started thinking about doing stuff to the sami. 25mpg vs 5mpg wow thats a hard choice /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif the gets little mudders maybe the smallest SSRs and thats it. Cause I have to run that thing through little mud pits /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I've been thinking about doing an SOA setup but don't know all the info about it.