Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube bender wanted

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by tRustyK5, May 17, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pro-105 or similar, plus a 1.75" 240 degree die.

Let me know what you have and how much you want. Will need shipping to 98230.

Thanks

Rene

2. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just received my 105 bender about 2 weeks ago... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I bought-it direct from pro-tools...
    They are giving a 10% discount this month....
    if you order 3 dies... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Hey Rene, if you want I can trace out the arm's for you?! I know you do some metal work and can probably cut them out on your own. Shoot me a PM if anything.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I want a cheap plasma cutter too. I figure we have about the same chances... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

I'm not trying to be cheap or unrealistic...but I thought there might be a used bender out there. Apparently not right now.

There are several versions of the same bender out there and so far the Van Sant looks to be the best deal. The Pro Tools and JD2 are both shipping out of Florida which just drives the cost up for me.

One question for those with benders already...is the degree ring worth getting?

Rene

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Hey Rene, check the classifieds over at Race-Dezert. A bender shows up every so often there. I missed one a few years ago for less than $200, a JD2 model at that.

7. tRustyK5

Thanks for the heads up BR.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

8. BadDog

Sorry, just being a SA. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Also, check with M-Tech. They have a JD2 knock-off made locally that was a bit cheaper and I avoided shipping to boot (they are in PHX).

As for the degree wheel, I found it pretty useless making the majority of the cage. However, it's nice when making duplicate or mirror bends. For instance, I used it last week making my "front fender/hood edge bars". Bent both sides to 95* in front and 20* in back (to go parallel down the side of the cowl) to get a (near) perfect mirror image. It's not dead on, but when you do one, and see what the "spring back" is going to be, you just do it again to get the same final product +/-2* or so (due to the relatively low-res radius)... One tip that helped a lot was welding a nail onto the die with the point about 0.062 off the wheel to use as a marker.

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I got my notcher from like Portland tool or something like that for cheaper than the M-tech price. I'll have to look and see where I did get that, But it was in Oregon somewhere. Shipping was next to nothing. I'll be headed down there in June too, if you wanted to save more. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. tRustyK5

I found M-tech doing a search for tube benders. The Van Sant still works out to be less after shipping for whatever reason.

Bender with degree wheel = 267.50
    1 3/4" die set = 200.00
    handle = 26

total 494.50 before shipping. 65 for shipping grand total is 559.50

I can do $10 better through M-tech...but that is with no degree wheel or handle. Apples to apples the Van Sant is about $50 cheaper than M-tech.

So far I've found:

M-tech
    Medford tools
    Pro-tools
    Van Sant
    JD2

All sell the model 3 bender, all sell the exact same dies, and the pricing is also similar.

So far it looks like I'll be ordering from Van Sant in the next week or so, unless I run into a deal on a used set-up. So far used benders don't seem to come up for sale very often...

Rene

11. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

12. tRustyK5

That'd be perfect for a 1/8th scale rock buggy!/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

13. BadDog

For me, with no shipping, M-Tech was a sure thing. However, they also sell JD2 and I think that may be the only thing on their site, might want to talk to them. Shoot me a PM with you shipping info + requirements and I'll give them a call to avoid the international call.

The knock off is almost identical, but less "finished", and uses the same die. By less "finished", I mean the edges of the frame are not as radiused, the pins are just hardened bins with roll pins to keep the from falling through. One thing I liked better, the knock off had a spacer where the frame bolts together so that changing dies is easier (the frame does not try to collapse on you). Easy to make, but the JD2 didn't come with it or the degree wheel. When I bought mine, it always came with the degree ring (no option without, that's the only reason I have it) and was still cheaper by a little than the JD2.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Bought my JD2 through M-Tech. Got the final price on here somewhere, think it was $539 total with degree wheel......

15. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I ordered mine through JD2 directly. Picked up the bender, and a 1.5" die and Degree Ring. Total cost shipped to California $529

Oh, and don't bother with getting the handle. It's nothing more than .120 x 1 x 2 rectangular tubing. Pick it up for 10 bucks or less from your local steel supplier.