Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube bender... Where can I get a decent one... Would this work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by google, Jun 17, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

Would this work for making a roll cage? If so, i'm sure I could do a lot more with it. I'm sure it wouldn't work though... So where can a get a decent tube bender?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=632&item=4388239135&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I don't need anything THIS GOOD though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25278&item=7524097601&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

But I heared on the tv show TRUCKS that the tube bender they were using only cost $600.... Now I want to know where to get it

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the first one is a pipe bender, it will only kink tube. i wish people would stop advertising it as a "tube pipe bender"

try www.jd2.com or
    www.pro-tools.com for a cheaper bender, i have the pro tools and i have $650 with 1 die and the degree ring.

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

Which one am I looking for in the pro-tools one? Can you put a link directly to the one you have or what I would need to bend a roll cage/bumper/rock slider etc...

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

in the first link the model 3
    and in the protools link the 105

i might just spring on that model 3 thats a pretty good price.

5. big83chevy4x4

6. google

google 1/2 ton status

How durable is that one? I mean, if I charge say.... $50 "labor" (just to pay for the tool) for each bumper and $100 for each roll cage...... will it stay alive long enough to make back the cost of the tool? Basicly, how durable is it? How much have you done with it?.......... Would you say I could go half with a guy and both of us could make bumpers, roll cages, tube doors, and rock sliders and it would still work ok?

7. big83chevy4x4

there are no wearing parts on it, you may wear the foller die after a few hundred thousand bends, but thats it. just keep within the limits and you will have no problems, ever. the same with the jd2 bender.

8. google

google 1/2 ton status

Limits? Can it bend square tubing too? A few thousand is plenty to make your money's worth though.. I'm impressed. Now...... to teach myself to weld too........ Gotta start somewhere............. :grin:

9. big83chevy4x4

yes you can bend square tubing with the right die, you can also bend pipe, with the right die.

every die has a minimum and maximum thickness of the material

10. google

google 1/2 ton status

OK, now I just need to get some people in the AZ to want to go in on this with me. That way we can all make our roll cages, bumpers etc... and be done with it....... anyone up for it? I have a shop to keep it in in mesa.... :D

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Talk to Shane at http://www.columbiariveroff-road.com/ Tell him Shane from Black Widow Performance sent you. He'll cut you a smokin' deal on benders and gear for it. Best deals I've been able to find ANYWHERE. :cool1:

12. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

i worked in welding shops for years. from structural steel to ornamental iron. the first comment is correct, if you dont take proper precautions, your pipe/tube can kink with the 60 dollar bender. It will work tho. This is how you remedy the problem. Take your pipe/tube, and fill it with sand. make sure that at the point of the bend, it is completely filled with sand. when you start bending, the sand will force the tube/pipe not to collapse.
    hope this helps.
    God bless.

13. google

google 1/2 ton status

Now that's a useful tidbid of information. Thanks.... I just may need to try the cheepo one before going all out.

14. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

You'll find on some of the tube bender web site's that they advise against "going in on it together". I'd be scared about losing a friend over $300 (petty I know, but I've seen it), but if you own a tube bender, you always have friends :haha: :rotfl: :haha: :rotfl:

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

16. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I think those are mainly for bending small stuff like 3/8" round or square bar or flat bar stuff for making things like linkages and brackets. There are no dies for bending hollow tubing.

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

man i think we need a sticky in here say that this is not good for tube!!!

lol

[​IMG]

i have use it for thin tube, that fit in the die perfectly after some grinding, but it was for a railing and did still slightly kink, and mishapen the tube.

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I already learned that lesson the hard way, that's why I was wondering about the other benders. The pipe bender is a POS when it comes to tube.