Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube Benders?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 28, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I was wondering what a good brand of tube bender is for stuff like bumpers and especially rollcages!! I know there is a article in the center of gravity forum but Im not a full-access member yet. So I can't reply! So what is a good brand? And there website if possible. I'm looking at building a rollcage before I lift my truck for safety concerns /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif So yeah! thanks in advance!

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If your just going to build a cage, get a pre made one, if you plan on building bumper and whatnot, a bender might be ok.

They are always selling those JD3 whatevers on Pirate in the vendors section, but Pirate is creepy

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im going with a pro-tools bender from www.mikegreen4x4.com
    his prices are awesome, its gonna be about 500 for the bender and 1.5 die shipped to my house /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

there is also the jd squared. the web site is www.jd2.com
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. bikinnotdykin

bikinnotdykin Registered Member

pro tools 105, heavier duty arms, powder coated, the jd2 isn't degree ring w stop. pro tools is the way to go!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but Pirate is creepy

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i just bought a JD2 model 4. lot of bender for just a bumper or 2. air over hydraulic & 3 dies for $2000.

Van Sant said all JD2 stuff is on a 6 week back order though

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If your just going to build a cage, get a pre made one, if you plan on building bumper and whatnot, a bender might be ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should I buy a pre-made one? Wouldn't it be best to make one? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Where did you guys buy yours? Online?? How hard are they to make rollcages and bumpers? Thanks

9. k5fd89

k5fd89 Hold my beer..watch this! Premium Member

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Those are pretty nice, but would it be hard to make my own? What benders do you guys have!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have the JD2 and I got it from Van Sant. Got it with the 1.75" x 5.5 CLR die set, degree wheel and handle.

It'll do my bumpers and cage no problems...

Rene

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Is there a place online to buy them? How well does it work? Do you like it?

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You can make your own bender (it is more than an involved process when done properly though) the dies you need to buy unless you are amazing on a lathe of own a CNC milling machine and can work it like a 14 year old on a PS2.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Are pro-tools any good? I was looking at one at there site- http://www.pro-tools.com/hmp200.htm - is that a good one? How does it work? I haven't used one for a long time and can't seem to understand?? Thanks

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you want a pro tools go to www.mikegreen4x4.com his prices are alot better than the protools web site. the standard bender is 240 and 283 for the HD from mike /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Are pro-tools products good?thanks for the website /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Are pro-tools benders any good? What one should I get for bumpers and stuff? thanks for the website! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Are pro-tools benders any good? What one should I get for bumpers and stuff? thanks for the website! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got the HD model of the ProTools bender. It's very nice.

You are kidding yourself if you think this is going to be the easy way to go for a cage and bumpers. Add up the costs of the bender, dies, materials, welder, notcher, wasted materials due to mistakes (you WILL make mistakes!) and you could probably have everything built FOR you by a professional shop for less money and with better overall results......

That's not to say you couldn't have a lot of fun doing it yourself, but it's NOT going to save you any money, that's for sure! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got the HD model of the ProTools bender. It's very nice.

You are kidding yourself if you think this is going to be the easy way to go for a cage and bumpers. Add up the costs of the bender, dies, materials, welder, notcher, wasted materials due to mistakes (you WILL make mistakes!) and you could probably have everything built FOR you by a professional shop for less money and with better overall results......

That's not to say you couldn't have a lot of fun doing it yourself, but it's NOT going to save you any money, that's for sure! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the notcher do??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

It cuts the ends of the tube to match the piece of tube you are welding it to. It sounds to me that don't have too much experience with fab work. I second, third and fourth the motion for you to save yourself some time, money, and not to mention your life and invest in a cage built by a pro. If I guessed wrong about your skill level and knowlege or you are willing to learn at the expense of mistakes, then by all means get the Protools MB105HD bender, dies, and degree/stop ring. You can add hydraulics later if you like. It is a nice bender and will bend up to 2" tube. I also recomend calling Greg Youens at 4wdfactory ( http://4wdfactory.homestead.com/contact.html ) as he has even better prices than the Mike guy listed above(not a huge difference but better). Tell him Justin Davis sent you and ask for the same deal he made me (with your die choice of coarse).