Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tube body legal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXFSHRMAN, Jun 30, 2005.

1. TXFSHRMAN

TXFSHRMAN Registered Member

does anyone know if you scrap all the body panels from the rear quarter panel back and go with a tube body if that is street legal keep in mind i want to keep my rear seat...has anyone done this and would it be legal?

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i would imagine it wouldn't be much different than a flat bed..as long as you had the proper lighting, and mud flaps to cover the tires you should be fine. i know guys that drive pick up trucks with no bed at all on..just the cab and bare frame..they run mud flaps and trailer/tow lights on the end of the frame...check your local laws tho

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Depends on the local laws. Better check with DMV/DPS unless you are sure.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

The problem is a K5 is not a pickup truck. It is considered a wagon and the rear area is passenger space. You could probably tube it but I bet to be road legal you will have to skin it (maybe make removable panels). I know, at least around here, you can't run a K5 without the tailgate. And a turbo net doesn't count.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

i never once got hassled with this by the cops.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

In the 70's (including 2nd gen) they sold K5 with no top, no back seat and no passenger seat if you wanted, just one seat for driver and that's it. I don't see why it would be illegal to run a k5 without a gate. You sure about that. Mabey the cops are just giving you a hard time.

7. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

from what I've seen cops in texas don't care about much of anything unless you piss them off

8. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Double check with the dmv in austin just to be sure....but I seem to remember there being something about there being a rear bumper a certain height off the ground. Other than that tail lights, mudflaps, license plate, and I think you're good to go. :)

9. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

IIRC, bumper height in TX is 58" and there is a headlight law, but not sure about taillights

10. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

Here you go.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/tntoc.html

Texas Traffic code. Got to chapter 547. It will cover what is legal as far as light heights, approved bumpers etc. I have not found anything in it regarding tube exo-cages nor the operation of the vehicle without a tailgate. The K5 would have to have a tail pipe that exits behind the rear seating compartment. Meaning behind the rear seats in order to carry occupants. (because it is supposed to be enclosed.) Other than that you should be fine except the cage can not extend greated than 6 inches from the widest portion of the body. If you remove the body skins though????

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Around here ie. the state of Pennsylvania we have safety inspections. Some of the rules I am familiar with deal with passenger compartments and the classification of the K5 as a wagon and not a truck. Did you know in PA a cars trunk is considered a passenger compartment because there is no firewall behind the back seat? So any holes in the trunk floor must be patched so no exhaust gasses can leak into the passenger cabin. If you have an open cab K5 (not a truck cab conversion) the whole thing from firewall to tailgate is considered passenger space wether there are seats there or not. And since passenger space requires enclosure on all sides you cannot run without a tailgate. You also cannot run without doors unless you put a panel in near the floor like the jeeps have.

12. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Do you even need bumpers at all?

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

yes, again I know in PA you do. Unless your vehicle came factory with a no bumper option which means most trucks do not need a rear bumper. But they do need a front one.