Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube Buggy on Blazer Frame for Sale

Discussion in 'Complete Vehicles' started by miniwally, Sep 5, 2006.

1. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am posting this for Beck.

Finished in 4/2002, this turnkey buggy is a 1981 K5 Blazer frame with 2”x .120” tubing bolted on top. Some is HREW and some is DOM. Most of it has been dented, but without material failure.

The engine is a regularly maintained GM 350 that had 30,000 miles (in the K5) when it became a buggy in 2002. Trailered since then, it’s seen less than 1000 offroad miles. It is injected with a Howell throttle body kit, which includes a service manual. Performance upgrades include an Edlebrock Performer intake, RV camshaft, Hedman headers, and a Flowmaster muffler.

The transmission is a TH350 that was professionally rebuilt about 400 miles ago(5/04). It has a low-stall converter, a shift kit, and a Cavalier shifter.

The transfer case is an ORD Doubler with ORD-built(3/03) cases (a GM NP203 and rotated GM NP205). The 205 is modified for front-only ability (twinsticked) and the 203 has its own shifter. They are mounted with a custom high-clearance crossmember and protected with a chro-moly skidplate.

The front axle is an ORD-built(3/03) Dana 60 out of a Dodge. It has 4.10 gears, a Locrite, and 35 spline shafts throughout. Custom 35 spline drive flanges bolt on in place of locking hubs. The stub shafts and u-joints haven’t broken, but are worn out.

The steering is full-hydraulic with a single-ended ram mounted from the axletube to the 1.5”x.375” tierod. It uses a Grant removable steering wheel, a WMS orbital valve, an AGR Superpump, and has a large custom reservoir and filter system. This setup has proved trouble-free in any situation.

The rear axle is a GM 14-bolt, rebuilt(5/04) with new 4.10 gears and Detroit locker. It has ORD disc brakes, a shaved bottom, and ¼”-plated diff-cover.

The wheels are 16.5x9.75 with custom steel 21-hole ¼” beadlock rings, and the rubber is 42” Swamper TSL with about 50-75% tread left. The inner lugs have all been cut into smaller triangles for performance.

The suspension is all leaf-sprung. The fronts are a custom thick pack around a 3” lift, while the rear has an ORD shackle-flip with stock leaves. The rear is controlled with traction bars at each framerail. The shocks are Tuff Country’s.

Extra stuff includes a Magnum 9000lb winch, ¼”-wall 1350 driveshafts front and rear, dash-switched electric fans on a rear-mounted radiator, a 15 gallon Toyota fuel tank, and an ammo-can center console.
    green buggy 012.jpg

green buggy 015.jpg

green buggy 024.jpg

Asking $10,000
    For more info Call Beck Herring at 970-309-0666

green buggy 012.jpg

green buggy 015.jpg

green buggy 024.jpg

2. miniwally

3. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool ride.

TTT

4. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Thread back from the dead...how much did it weigh? Approx...

:bow: David

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Damn! Almost a year old thread! Interesting ride. Weird, I never saw this post before.

6. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I met Beck a while back. Cool guy. He cut the tube off and is getting rid of it. I'd like to pick it up.

Anyone going from CO to CA?

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats tempting.

Is there anyone or a way to fab up a tube chassis thats 100% bolt on? Like, bolts to existing holes or mounts in the frame rails? I don't like the idea of cutting, welding, drilling or butchering a frame. Plus, if you ever wanted to put a tub back on, just remove the tubing and "voila!"

8. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Easy. His is mostly bolt on. Just bolt a plate 1/4" or so with say (3) 7/16" G8 bolts to the frame wherever you want to put a tube. Mostly right at all the suspension points. Don't drill or weld on the flange (top/bottom) of the frame, only the side.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of this old race truck I saw that had the frame attached to the spring hangers.

9. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

10. miniwally

Becks buggy weighed in around 4300#s ready to go onthe trail without driver I think.

Mine is in the 4100# range with gas etc. but no driver.

His was always a few hundred #s heavier than mine.

Beck made a bolt on Cage a few years back and had a heck of a time selling it. I thik that is the same reason that ORD isn't beating down doors to produce the Fox Chassis. Just not enough interest to make them a production item and the cost for them to custom fab is to much.

11. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Does he still have it or did those guys get it? (the cage)

Thanks