Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube bumper....what size?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fjleiter, Oct 13, 2004.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Figured with winter coming and the Blazer of the road (mid swap of engine) I would try my hand at making some tube bumpers. Nothing fancy, just two horizontal tubes with evenly placed vertical connectors. Any suggestions on tube size? what is the typical size to use? Any real advantage to using DOM over standard welded steel tube for bumpers? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

size ranges from 1.75" up to as big as 3" I've seen but the larger tubes seem to be out of style. I think standard on a bumper is about 2". Heavier the wall the better within reason for a front bumper.

As far as HREW versus DOM on a bumper its probably not necessary to use DOM. But then again. I like DOM tubing. Really up to you on that one.

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Go to home depot and take a look at their gas piping. they should have up to 3". Depending on what size you get the wall thickness will be close to 1/4".

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. I don't know why anyone would use tube at all for a bumper. Use pipe. It's heavier wall thickness and just as strong for use as a bumper.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I used 2" diameter, 1/4" wall tubing for the main bar of my bumper, and made the rest of the grill gaurd out of 1 1/2" .188 wall tube.