Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube bumpers as airtanks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, May 2, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Does anybody use tubebumpers as airtanks and if so how much air can they hold. Can you fill a 33/1250 tire?

IFS - Just say no!

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I had a friend that made one out of 6x8 tubing across the back of his truck. First off you have to be a very good welder since any little pinhole will create a leakage problem and your tank will bleed off in no time. You might be able to fill a 35" tire or two. But imho, it's not worth the hassle for the gains. on board air, co2, or just one of those red tanks is so much easier and better. Now the bumper tank coupled with on board air deserves a little more thought.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It could be done, but I don't think anyone would make them. That is a HUGE liability issue. Using a tube bumper as an air cylinder is risky. You would be putting a high pressure piece of equipment in a prime area of impact. Not to mention, It would have to be a huge bumper to hold much air. If you want air on the trail, just by a portable air cylinder. It would be much cheaper anyway. It would be expensive to have a shop make you a bumper/air tank. The testing that stuff has to go through to get certified is a PITA!

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

SEC makes that option. Do a search WAY back - we have discussed pros and cons at length. I am all for it since it is relatively low pressure.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You really classify 130 lbs of pressure in a 1/4" thick tube as risky??? If someone rearends ya hard enough to rupture that, you'll have a lot worse problems to worry about. CO2 tanks run much higher pressure in a much thinner tank.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

here's a really good writup on a air tank bumper.

<a target="_blank" href=http://billyxj.tripod.com/rearbumper/rearbumper.htm>http://billyxj.tripod.com/rearbumper/rearbumper.htm</a>

7. I called SEC about 2 months ago and they said they no longer offer this option. Later 80K20

8. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Bad Link? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

works for me.

Just has a TON of pics...may take a while to load on slow connections.

10. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Yep now it's working...

Thanks, Shane

11. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

blazer72 uses his sliders as airtanks for his onboard air. holds enough to run air tools. I've heard of bumpers being used too.

Chris

12. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

blazer72 uses his sliders as airtanks for his onboard air. holds enough to run air tools. I've heard of bumpers being used too.

Chris

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

wonder why?

14. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You really classify 130 lbs of pressure in a 1/4" thick tube as risky??? If someone rearends ya hard enough to rupture that, you'll have a lot worse problems to worry about. CO2 tanks run much higher pressure in a much thinner tank.

<hr></blockquote>

I agree, its not that big of a deal..

I think that using a tube bumper for on-board air is a xlnt idea. I dont know about using it as a storage tank though.....

mike

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I put 150 PSI in my rock sliders (4x4 inch 3/16 wall). I bash the hell out of them and haven't had problem one. I can fill 4 32x11.5 BFG's from 20 back up to 34 psi (tire is rated 50psi max and I ran then about 34 on the street). Just put the 35's on. Tire has a lot more volume. I can only go from 18to about 26 PSI. Enough to get to a gas station to top off to the 30 PSI I run on the street.

16. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If you have time could you please let me know what kind of couplers and parts you used, I am really interrested in doing something like this. I am a pretty good welder but I have never done anything like this.

Thanks.

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm only gonna say this once... I STAND CORRECTED! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif!! learn somthing new every day.....

18. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Would you run these bumpers pressurized on the street? I'm thinking thats a bomb in the event of a crash.

19. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I saw plans to make an air tank out of a roll cage, that would hold alot more air, but all in all i think just buying a tank would be the best bet, rather be safe than sorry.

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I don't see it any riskier then running them on the trail. I drop off ledges onto granite rock all the time. The front of a car is more forgiving than rock /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Cars are made to crush.