Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tube dash latches/sealing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jul 31, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

This is the second time writing this, previous time the internet closed /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

When I build my rollcage I want to incorperate a tube dash that will replace the stock dash completly. This won;t happen for a while though... but I have some questions...

I am going to incorperate 2 comparments; one for light switches, and one for ignition box/EFI computer.

Since my k5 won't have a top, these need to be water tight and sealed from water, snow, mud, etc.

The reason why I want the light switches in the comparment are so the dash isn't so cluttered (eventually I want a bunch of lights, so when wheeling at night... etc) so when I want to turn on the rock lights or something, I would just flip open the compartment door and flip the toggle switch.
    Light switch comparment:
    I want the door to open towards the rear of the k5. It has to be water tight like I said. But I don't have a clue on how to latch it, or seal it. The latch has to be easy to operate, and whatever else a latch does.

Then for the ignition box/EFI computer thing, I would make it over the approx. spot where the old glovebox was. It would have the door open towards the rear like the other one. And it also has to be water tight against rain, etc. And I need a way to latch it too. Any ideas are welcome...

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Wire them into ammo cans and shove em up your ass !

I have no idea why I said that

Anyway, maybe use some ammo cans for a center consold and throw all switches in there

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

So do you want something like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

bullet,
    it will be simular, but it will be my own deisgn. Since his is tested and true, I will use some ideas from his.
    Mine will be different, and not as "beefy", as watson is more experienced than I.
    Mine will also be completly water tight. The whole dash...

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

anyone know? Maybe something like weatherstripping for sealing? I don't know /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

why not use rtv? don't need no stinkin weather stripping! how often would you be taking your dash apart anyway? with rtv you could 'proof some wacky shaped stuff that might not work very well with pre-made-for-other-applications weather stripping.

just an idea,

j

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh sorry, I should be more specific... I will be using RTV silicone stuff over top of all the seams. But I was wondering what I can use for the compartments sealing? Since they will be opened and closed everytime I work on it/go wheeling at night.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wouldn't it be more efficient to use water-proof high zoot switches (use whatever they use on boats) for your lights and have the housing the switches are mounted to sealed with rtv? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

It shouldn't take much. I'd try some weather stripping with adhesive on one side. Your gonna want to have a lip/channel to divert most of the water around and away from the seal area for the best results.
    As for the sealant suggestion, I wouldn't use RTV. Use 100% silicone. I've herd of engine builders using this instead of RTV in non-high heat areas.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I want a simple looking dash, not something with a bunch of switches, so thats why all the lights except main front and rear will be in the comparment. On the outside I will use marine switches so they are okay if they get wet. And the comparment will probably just have normal toggle switches if I can get it sealed good.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a local rv/camper place should be able to help you out. i know we have TONS of different seals avaliable at work.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

could just bulid it how ever you want mostly water proof and just soak it with ignition protection or water proofing spray every once and a wile.

you building this rig (eventualy) for rocks right? so your not planing full on water crossongs and stuff right? just open to the elaments, spray would do a lot , its helped me and my buds on a lot of water so...

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm building this rig for rocks, mud and trail rides. Thats why I want it to be waterproof-mud. And also its wet half the year where I live. So like I said, without the top on, it's going to get wet.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'll probably just use weather stripping for sealing.

What about latches? Anyone have ANY ideas?