Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube Door and Rocker Panel Mods on Ol' Green

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by marv_springer, May 10, 2002.

1. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Tube Door and Rocker Panel Mods on Ol\' Green

Check out the Tube Door and Rocker Mods I did.....! Still gotta do the other side yet... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/marv_springer>http://community.webshots.com/user/marv_springer</a>

Marv

2. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Re: Tube Door and Rocker Panel Mods on Ol\' Green

Looks really good!!!

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

marv, i think somebody stole my truck. there is a truck on your web page before and after that belongs to a guy named TJ (That's my name) and my truck is a complete convertible just like that one, and mine will be orange once it comes back from the paint booth. i wish i had known somebody had my truck. if you see him, tell him i want my truck back!

4. marv_springer

Really...! I see that you're running a 4 sp.. which his truck has also..! Maybe they were made on the same day!

His truck was - I say "was" - pretty straight. On our most recent trip to Lower Terminator (pics are on rockmodified.com) he slipped into a crevasse and really beat up the left rear qtr gettin out...! It was quite a site!

I'd like to see a shot of yours. Please send one w/ fresh paint and I'll show it to the other TJ..

Marv

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, too bad he took the "F%#$ing Marv Line"...

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Nice job on the bending and the rockers look tough. You planning on plating them to keep rocks from catching on the bars?

6. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i will have to do that, just as soon as i get my ck5 membership i will post before and after picks, or when my club gets its web page up and running. I am the webmaster, but the money people won't fork over the loot for a domain. should be back from the paint shop at the end of june/ early july. i am making installments on the paint payments so they aren't going to paint it until i have it all paid for. so it is still ghostly white right now.

7. marv_springer

Yes, I'm gonna add some plate to keep the rocks out.... just wanted to get the door on and get it finished first. I just know I'm gonna get caught in a monsoon and get wet on the way to work..!!

Marv

8. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

are you going to put a soft top material on those doors to keep the rain out?if so E-mail me cause I want a pair cassidy4x4@yahoo.com those look sweet. let me know what your plans are.

9. marv_springer

Cassidy,... glad you like 'em....

I wanted to make these doors work for daily driver duties all thru the winter. The plan is to get them "canvas" covered with a "zip down" window. Got a guy who's gonna cover them, but I gotta get the latch fig'r'd out first.

The worst part about making them to sell would be that the rockers would need to be cut too - or big gap below the door would be pretty obvious.

I'll finish the covering.... then do the other side /forums/images/icons/smile.gif, and then I'll make sure that they hold up to a little abuse... Testing is so much fun! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Marv

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

You could add Nascar style tubes on the side of the doors and have some darned good looking stuff there Marv. Looks great.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

TJ is that Denver75? I know he is a TJ with a Roadster also /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Gee Those rockers look something like mine /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Hmmmmm Like the doors. Another thing to add to the list of justifications to my wife why I need a JD2 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

Marv, I like your doors!!! I just cut up a old pair of doors, cut then into half doors.I installed 1" square tubing so I won't fall out.It's amazing how much the stock doors weigh compared to the 15# doors I have now.We need to get together and plan my diff. being welded and possibly swapping my rear 56" springs around.Regardless I like your doors!!!! Mike

13. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

awesome---we gonna get to try out the rock sliders in Cruses/forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    you know slowly bu surly (sp?)all your banged up body panels are being replaced by tubes-----hmmm?

i think you had other intentions on the sliders---some people don't know you are pretty short /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif j/k----can't wait to "take The F%#$ing Marv Line" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. FWP

FWP CRS

Looking good as usual /forums/images/icons/smile.gif...

You ever notice how we keep making stuff stronger and stronger? I brake something, and go- how can I make that beefier. and on and on it goes /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif..Makes me think, why don't I go buy an old beat up Blazer, cut the crap out of the sheet metal, and tube most of it. Maybe I will someday...

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Now you got it! This is exactly the train of thought that led me to my K30 project. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

16. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I like it!!I have been looking at mine with this in mind.Not sure about the rocker box though.('73)Currently I have a 2x3 tube for the rockers.Works good but need more clearance.

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Marv,
    You got to have the most F$%&amp; looking Blazer I have ever seen! Man its cool. Rock on!

18. marv_springer

Thanks all for the positvie comments...

I really like the new rockers.... They give me at least 6" more clearance where I really needed it. I was going to put the old door back on and just cut 6 or 7" off the bottom of it. But my old door was so smashed and ugly.... I just couldn't do it - so I set out to do the tube thing.

Cuttin' that old rocker out was the hardest part...!

Marv