Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube door kit???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr_beer, Jun 19, 2005.

1. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

Does anybody make a tube door kit that you weld togther yourself? I can do all the welding but I don't have a bender.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I could do a set for you that way. Wouldn't change the price too much though as there isn't much welding on them really. Or I should say the welding doesn't take long in the fixture.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you could just make them without a bender... just run straight tubes. Someone here on ck5 had a set of tube doors with straight tubes, just can't remember who it was...

j

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Jack. How about latches? The missing link. What are guys using out there, parts from the original door?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

6. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Now that is what CK5 is all about. Thanks! Is that particular latch for use with our strikers? Have you used this latch, and if so what did you use as a release handle?

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have those latches on my tube doors... they work fine with the factory striker bolt. When I first got them, I decided I wanted some kind of handles to make it easier to open. I tried some not-thick-enough 1" nylon strap and they lasted a few months and started to fray around the grommets. I'll probably try again at some point... might go with tubular nylon this time. In any case, you don't need to add anything.. you can just use the short metal latch (far left piece in the pic above) to open the door. Not quite as easy to open that way, but it definitely works.

j

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If your striker bolts still have the nylon roller that will have to be removed. Then those latches work really good with the bare striker bolt used on our trucks.

The release handle is pretty primitive, but can easily be added to to make it a little easier to open the doors. These latches allow you to slam the doors shut just like your regular doors.

Rene

9. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I started on the drivers door this afternoon and so far its turning out pretty. I made one minor bend in the back part of the door and I just used a torch and put some heat to it to bend it.

I replaced all the door pins with the "quick release pins" a few months ago. I just took them off today and went for a ride around our corn fields today. I'd have to say I don't understand the jeep thing, when you can wheel a fullsize without doors. :D This Louisiana heat is a killer with no a/c.

10. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

That is great info guys, thanks for the leads. Tube doors begin soon!