Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube Doors almost finished

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Butch, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I am almost done with my tube doors other than mounting the hinges, striker, and cover plates at the fender. Go over to my web site and take a look www.BentandTwisted4x4.com Look on the coming soon page. Should be finished before the end of the week. They will also turn off the overhead light when shut. Feed back welcome

2. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Where is it hinged at.I see the stock hinges aren't being used.Or will they use the stock hinge mounting holes?

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

The bolt holes for the stock hinges will be used with a barrel hinge set up that will open to 135 degrees so you can get in the truck from the front which is very helpful when twisted up in the rocks.

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

First off those are the sweatest tube doors yet!!! What is an approximate price for them?

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i tried your message board on your site and something weird was going on /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

anyway, i'll just ask you here.

i was wondering if you could (maybe as an option) have a different design for your top bar??? something like an angle.

here's a pic to show you what im talking about.

[​IMG]

i hope it's ok to use your picture as an example /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif BTW these are the best tube doors iv'e seen so far. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

very nice i want a set ,cant wait until they are for sale

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

The ones I am doing for Fox will roll over almost 180 at the top and come into the horizontal bar to be lower. I could do like you have drawn it but I thought it would be uncomfortable to lay your arm on.

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I built something similar for my buddy last week, don't have pics yet but it looked like this...

[​IMG]

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Tim
    Can you make mine like this, the black area at the bottom is the steel mesh part, I really like the look of the angles, what does everyone else think?
    [​IMG]

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think I like that idea even better. Easier to put your arm on.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Could add a flat surface to the top edge (armrest?) and a cupholder near the hinge area? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I don't know if anyone would want those things, but they could always be "options".....the armrest one seems like a good one....I'll bet once the doors are removed, you spend a lot of time trying to rest your arm (out of habit) on the non-existent window frame!!!

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats a good idea Steve, what were those on?

You only need the first half of the door to be flat for your arm to fit and then having it rise up makes for a good handle as well.

If you wanted to be really slick with them, make them hinge at the bottom and fold down as steps! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

I will echo the group thought...these are the best doors around. Target price for a '76 k20 pickup? I would like to see the armrest option, you can pad it yourself. also maybe some kind of quick release system that you could attach to your stock hinges and your stock door for quick mounting. I saw these for some fiberglass doors for a t*y*ta, pretty pimp.

15. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I can run the tube down that low, but right now it is 1" lower than your door is. If I put it that low you will be leaning down to rest your arm on it. I dont think the kidneys would appreciate it but if that is what you guys like I will make a set that way and have you look at them. I expect the price to be in the high 200 range plus any extra options like the swing out mirrors.

16. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

I was thinking maybe split the difference between the window sill and the armrest inside the cab. The armrest is low enough to just rest your elbow on and still drive and the window sill is a liitle to high to be comfortable, wow it would be nice not to have the lock poking me in the bicept! But maybe that is just my pick-up, I dont know about the blazer.

17. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Hey Tim, you should have Steve set you up with a Bent & Twisted forum in the aftermarket section, here on CK5 along with ORD /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

18. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree that I like the angles that Steve showed in his green version but I also agree with butch that I would want the top tube to be more like my regular door to rest my arm on.

19. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

We have been talking about that. I think it would work out nice, just got to iron out all of the wrinkles