Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tube doors and vinyle doors like a jeep??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RootBreaker, Aug 14, 2003.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok im probably gonna confuse alot of you.....
    since im back to working on my truck again... my wife wants me to get new doors so i can get a paintjob when the truck is done... mine are dented and rusted out.....

so i was thinkin of tube doors... i have seen them for pickups and the sort.... now what i am wondering is does anyone make a tube door that also has the removeable window like the jeeps do?
    I would like to retain a full door and on good weather remove the door skin if you will..... via snaps or whatever then exposing just the tube doors.....

nj wont allow me to drive around without doors like a jeep cuz jeeps were designed that way not pickups... also i think pickups dont have the clean look with doors off....

thanks
    RootBreaker

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Robbie, aka MTPockets built a custom one off set for his rig, then parted the rig. There might still be pics floating around on here though if you do a search.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Didn't Marving build a perimeter frame door with cloth of some sort? Maybe check for Marv Springers pic's and see if that helps out.

Bryan...tube doors just showed up at my shipping addy/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks man!

Rene

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

somebody call /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif!

Yep... here's my canvas covered tube door. This first wheelie pic shows the door w/out the plastic "window". They just snap off.
    [​IMG]

...and this second pic (hey... don't be lookin' at my g/f /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) shows the window snapped on - but the bottom half is gone - gonna sheet metal it in....
    [​IMG]

Marv

5. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

are they water proof?

6. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

You have a pic without the canvas on?

The door and the GF /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. marv_springer

[ QUOTE ]
    You have a pic without the canvas on?

The door and the GF /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif... I do... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Marv

8. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Post 'em up.

BTW, Marv, who made your doors? I guess you made them, you wanna make another set? Just the lower half?

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Nice skin on the tubed doors Marv.

Nice skin on the g/f Marv.

Nice sheetmetal on the K5 Marv. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like the idea honestly and would love to hear more about em. What material are they made out of? Thanks man...

10. marv_springer

The frame is made of 1"x.120"w tube. The canvas covers are something called "Sumbrella" or something like that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif... The lady who made them for me typically uses this material to make bikini tops for boats and such... It's not really waterproof, but more like water resistant /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif... and in a heavy rain, it can get kinda soaked! The top glass part is typical stuff - just sewed into the canvas material and snaps added. Then I use a "hold down" clamp like this for a door latch:
    [​IMG]

One other thing to mention is that they don't mate to the stock door hinges... In fact, I used Home Depot gate hinges /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif..!

Marv

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think the second pic is an optical illusion...if you look really hard you might be able to see a truck in the background. Not 100% on the truck part.

Rene

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have half doors with vinyl inserts that snap in. Here is a pic of the truck with the doors in. They are regular doors cut down. I will get a pic of the vinyl inserts tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Mike

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

that is sweet... maybe i could do something like that instead of no doors or tube doors.... i like that look cuz i feel as pickups with no doors have that unclean look...

14. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

15. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah.. and one more thing..
    Brian aka Laketex and Michael.. aka "Michael" make one hell of a set of tube doors.. I bought a set off of them.. and I'm extremely happy with them. Pics of them are on my website link below..

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Here are some photos of my soft inserts. They are rough, my wife hand sewn them. If I ever built a second set, they would be much cleaner. These fit great tho, and with a snap at the top, it holds them into place at highway speeds. I used a small rod as the frame around the top. Then the bottom ends of the rod slide into holes in the top of the half doors, just like the top half of a Jeep soft doors.
    Hope the pics help you decide on a plan. BTW, the half doors and the soft inserts cost me about 50.00 total.
    Later
    Mike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Care to guess where they are now? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Give an hr and I'll put some pics up.

18. bigjbear

Here is what I've got. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the window/ door top

[​IMG]

the catch for the latch
    [​IMG]

Like I said they are the ones from MTPockets after he buggied his K5. They way they are made they will not work w/ a hard top and they do not go all the way to the floor. I run a soft top only and like being able to see out the bottom of the door. They work well for me but if you wanted to use them you would have to change the design slightly. One of the best things about them is they follow the Chevy body line. Bad parts IMO; they stain, I can no longer use my fiberglass 1/2 cab, they don't keep in the heat due to the huge gap at the bottom (easily fixed), zippers on the windows are stiff, and not completely waterproof. Good points; Better visibility, a LOT lighter, cool factor, reasonably weather resistant, easy to remove. Overall, I like them and am going to make a set for my '80 that fits the hard top.

19. bigjbear

The driver's side looks better because the sheetmetal isn't all F'd up. But this should give you an idea.