Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube doors/Half doors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jan 24, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

After looking at the tube bumper post and checking out the toyota site, I noticed they make a SWEET tube door for the toys. I WANT a pair. Does anyone have any info on K5 tube doors or half doors. I dont want to cut mine up. Or even a latching mechanism one could buy and fab their own.
    Thanks
    Brent

2. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

just go buy a factory gm door latch unit and find a small inside door or fab up something witha connecting rod to it. and the rest I will leave up to your imagination. P.S. I saw those doors also there are soo cool.

3. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

i have a 1/2 door setup when I run without a top. My 85' has the full doors for winter but I wanted better visibility and such. I found two junkyard doors and had Randy over at Randy Ellis Design (www.randyellisdesign.com) cut them and cap them. It was his first set on a fullsize and they were only about 300 bucks for the set (I supplied the doors). His welding is superb and clean (booger welds suck!). The latch is factory and the doors are so light! I'm working on getting pics of my blazer on soon. These doors keep the cab from flexing too much and I actually can climb over them to get in and out (though a latch is ready if I wanted to open them).

chrome sucks
    about chrome: "I didn't know it was possible for something to both suck and blow"

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

That is a good idea. I have a guy who welded up some bumpers for me working on the "gate" doors. He doesnt bend tube steel though, he is making them out of square tube. I have a couple of ideas for the latch...
    Brent