Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tube doors pics anybody?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by steve_kibbe, Sep 24, 2004.

1. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'm wanting to built a pair of tube doors for my 72.
    Anybody have some pics??

Thanks,
    Steve /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to do the same thing. I have a few ideas but I'm not going to do any thing till spring since winter is almost here. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[​IMG]
    Custom one of a kind tortilla fabworks first gen tube doors.

5. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

drool /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

6. steve_kibbe

nice, how did you make the hinge?, can you show me some pics??
    Thanks
    Steve /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya and this winter when you remove them I want to borrow one so I can dup a set for myself /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    nice, how did you make the hinge?, can you show me some pics??
    Thanks
    Steve /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The hinge or the latch that holds the door closed?

I visted Greg72 and he helped me fab these tube doors.. I used my factory hinges.. just unbolted the door and then we made some plates, drilled them and tapped them so they bolt to the hinges like a factory door. then we welded the tube to that.. So theoretically it shouldn't mess up the hinge alignment between bolting on the tube doors and regular doors... Really though, after blazerfest and twisting and flexing my truck every way the original doors didn't bolt up quite the same and the door alignment got tweeked.
    The hardest part of making some first gen tube doors is going to be figuring out what you're going to do about a latch to keep the door closed.. I was thinking about using a factory latch, but it would be tough to incorperate that in a tube door and it would look kinda funny too...
    Its kinda hard to explain how i made my latch, but i made a little striker plate with a hole in it that bolts onto the original striker plate. Then i made a spring loaded latch, out of 3/8" rod, a spring, and welding a few washers welded to the rod so it would be a spring loaded latch. I drilled the tube door so this 3/8" rod goes through the tube and would be pulled to open the door, then it is spring loaded so you can close the door and that rod will engage into the hole.. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif The spring and washers for the latch are hidden inside the tube so it looks clean.
    This worked pretty good, but it rattled and jingled a little bit, and the passanger side door opened on me once or twice driving around town. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif To eliminate the jingle between the rod and the hole in the striker plate, i was going to make a rubber bushing in the striker plate for the rod to engage into so it won't make any noise rattling around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think a better latch system would be nice, but haven't thought of one yet. I'm currently working on some half doors instead of tube doors now. I've already hacked a big U in a door and filled it back in with 16GA sheetmetal.. working on smoothing out the corners, and practicing body work on these half doors.. i'll post some pics of those maybe this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. steve_kibbe

great write up, thanks for the tips

10. Canadian Trailblazer

Canadian Trailblazer Registered Member

Here's a crappy pic of my tube door build this winter. I used the factory hinges and the factory latch mechanism. Silly but I still wanted to be able to slam my door. Know what I mean? Just got a new camera so I will post some new pictures with the vinyl skins on too.
    [​IMG]

11. steve_kibbe

cool
    looks good to me /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif