Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube doors--Update 4-14 lots of pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by robert97dodge, Apr 8, 2007.

1. robert97dodge

robert97dodge 1/2 ton status

I removed my doors on my '86 chevy today and gonna start building some tube doors for it. I am wondering what are people using for a latch on them? Also I am just gonnna use schedule 40 should I make them out of 2" or 1.5" tubing? If anyone has pics of theres that would be great too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  2. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Contact offroaddesign. I know stephen has been making some tube doors and I bet he'd hook you up with what he's using.

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

there are several large companies that make latches. i got a lead on a company called austin hardware. search them on google. they have an excellent web catalog. u will need to know the dimensions of your door striker, & it will take some time to pick one. i can't remember the part number on mine but it should work nicely.

by the way thanks to kert for that lead.

4. robert97dodge

Got some more work on done today. I started out with a piece of flat bar 3"X20" and drilled out the holes to bolt it to the stock hinges. Then I bolted them up and measure my top bar and got it cut. I am using 1.750" 1/4 wall tubing. I am not sure what it is but I think it is schedule 40. I got it free so I am not picky. I was gonna just weld everything up with a 110 wire feed welder but it isnt working worth a damn or I am doing something wrong. It has been about 6 yrs since I have really welded and I used to use a 220 Miller mig with argon so this is a big step down from that. I will be taking the truck tommorow to a friends shop and I am gonna bend the tubing for the rest of the door and finish welding everything up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

****ty weld

[​IMG]

5. robert97dodge

Got a lot done on the doors today. I would of been finished with both but I needed some more all thread for the passenger side so I didnt get the latch finished on it. I brought the truck to a friend shop so it made the work a lot easier. They just got a new $2500 tube bender and also had a tube notcher that you use a drill on. I was also able to use a 220 miller mig welder so I was able to just weld everything up over there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spring loaded latch so it keep the rod in the hole so the door cant come open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I was working on for the rear. I put the draw tite up between the frame rails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My tube doors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used these latches which work with the stock door strikers. I can slam my tube doors shut just like regular doors.

[​IMG]

http://www.austinhardware.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=84&pf%5Fid=876

Obviously you'll need a left and a right.

Not to be negative, but I really don't like your current latch...especially when there is a much better solution that doesn't cost a lot.

Rene

7. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the one rene posted is the same one i have.

8. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

hey man, I'm all for inovation, savin' a buck, ect. ect.... but your latch system has got to go... I dont think it looks that safe either. Somethin hits that tube door and that mild "steel" threaded rod is gonna bend REAL easy. And worse yet, that rod breaks and you're gonna have some soar or broken ribs.