Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube for roll cage?? what to get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 17, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

A friends uncle is gonna get me tube for my cage project. Also gonna get me stuff to put on rocksliders and all but I want to know what should I get for my cage? 2" tube? what wall thickness?

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i'd go 1 3/4--.120 wall

or if you like the big tube 2" .090---.120 you'll have fun bending

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Make sure you get DOM tube for a cage, HREW is not strong enough. The HREW will work for sliders tho /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

in that area I am going with 4x2" rec tube with 2x2" square tube supporting it all to the body. A little boatsiding.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Make sure you get DOM tube for a cage, HREW is not strong enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">explain exactly why

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

HREW will be fine, IMHO. Alot less expensive and in the thicker wall tube it will be no problem. I'm no expert, but from everything I've read this is the case.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ignoring wall thickness.....HREW is a seamed tubing, DOM is not. More impact strength with DOM

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I guess it depends on what the truck will be used for, but in rockcrawling, most rollovers will be very slow, so impact strength isn't as critical as ultimate tensile strength. Like I said, not an expert here so I could be way off.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Evan, I'm no expert here either, I'm saying what I was in a big conversation about with a metalirgist(sp?)at work a few months ago

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Seems to be a case of two people argueing second hand knowledge here... I'll shut up now and wait for the experts. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I agree

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dom is a lot stronger than hrew tubbing.Go with the good stuff after all the cage might save your life someday.

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

deleted dint want to hijack the post

69k5

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, first, to clear up a few things.

DOM *IS* HREW. It's just HREW with extra work done, like drawing over a mandrel. This drawing eliminates the inner weld ridge, provides tighter tolerances, AND work hardens the tube a bit. The work hardening is the only difference in strength.

What most people miss is that DOM is usually a different alloy. DOM is usually found in 102x (mine was 1028 for my steering rods) and HREW is usually found in grades around 1010. The exact grades stocked depend on the industries in your area and their needs. This also makes a difference in strength between HREW/DOM.

As for size, 1.75 x 0.120 in 1010 HREW is generally considered the best compromise of size/strength/weight ratio for a full size K5 trail/rock rig. That is what mine is built from. If you plan on beating the shnit out of it, rolling rather frequently, and smacking things a lot, then you probably want a 102x DOM cage of the same size since it is stronger as well as bit more abrasion resistant. However, IMO, for the vast majority of the trucks, DOM would be absolute over kill.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And a little tidbit on the whole cage thing, the focus of building a cage is in design. Doesn't matter what it's built out of (well it does) but the design of the cage is very important.

And last but not least, screw the HREW and DOM, go Chro-Mo /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm thinking I will get a locl junkyard that bends cages to do my main bar. Maybe my over door bars too. I'm just going to have a main hoop inside the top, then 2 bars running back to the frame(probably meeting the frame near the middle of the back fenderwells), and then the two bars going over the door frames and down in front of the dash. There will be a brow bar across between the 2 door bars as well.

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    And a little tidbit on the whole cage thing, the focus of building a cage is in design. Doesn't matter what it's built out of (well it does) but the design of the cage is very important.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Absolutely!

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And to add one more little to the rollcage discussion.

Someone like me who has a welder and bender has absolutely no business building a cage with what skills I have. It definately takes someone who has the knowledge to design, then weld the cage up. I definately would not go into a first bending and welding project building a cage.

Make sure whoever is doing the cage knows WTF they are doing.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Hmm its not my first bending and welding project. That was my bumper. But that showed me I'm not very skilled to do it. I'm thinking I am gonna load the K5 on the trailer, and drag it over to that junkyard and have them do the cage. Shouldn't cost me too much. They charge $2 a bend I think on exhaust not sure about cage. I will just have them do the main bar and door bars probably. Everything else is straight tubing. You know with my dad's help I may be able to do it just fine. He has raced dirt track cars with cages he made for years. Has rolled a few and worst thats happened is body damage and bending a few cages bars that he just replaced.

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If they are using an exhaust bender to do a cage stay away. Me personally, (if not doing it myself)I would drag it over to Otter's shop near Harrisburg. I saw the extremely bad roll he took during Neuroc on video and then looked at the cage in person, it held up flawlessly.