Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube in a Bogger?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jk3078, Mar 27, 2006.

1. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

One of my Boggers was having issues,a hole, and an inercase split 4-5'' long. I know this tire should be replaced but I dont have the cash for a new tire(90% tread on this one) and this truck is driven only offroad. So my question is are there any problems with running a tire with a tube offroad? Any thing to look out for? Oh, and he put a patch-boot over the split (2plys mabe) and a patch over the hole (1/4). I plan to use this tire for a month or two and then get a new tire and rim and swap it to spare status.
    15x38.5x15 on 10'' steely, thanks.

2. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Anyone? How about low pressure,10lbs, any problems.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Patch it, safety wire it if there's a gash, put a tube in, and don't even think about taking it on a public street. There's on a guy on Pirate that sells the correct sized tubes for swampers for like $42 a piece.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I run a tube in one of my tires but only to cover a small hole, not a huge gash.

5. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Ok its not a huge gash (ex-wife?:eek1: ) more of a small split that does not go even through 1/2 of the plys, on the inside of the tire, invisible from the out side. I had a tire shop patch the smaller hole, ''boot''-patch the split, and tube it. My question is are there any extra precations I should take running this tire offroad in reguards to the tube. The reason I ask is I have never had a tubed tire offroad before and was wondering about dangers, ie low pressures,popping beads ect. The entire patchup only cost $53 by the way.

Thanks

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It might actually help you offroad. The beauty of running tubes is that you'll never pop a bead. Unless you somehow rip the tire right off the wheel, the tube will always hold in the air.

7. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

just like staun bed locks

8. mikey_d05

ummm...no

9. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

No, tubes just hold the air in the whole tire. The tube keeps the bead from popping as there is no chance for the air to be lost. Im sure the bead can still come off in some situations tho. Staun beadlocks hold the bead in place allowing the tire to still hold minimal psi. Stauns do not hold all of the air in the tire. There is still air between the internal bead and the tread usually.

Someone correct me if im wrong on some part of this.

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have seen a 4" sidewall hole repaired in a set of boggers. Cut a patch from the sidewall of another tire. Use lots of glue and bolt it over the hole inside and out. bott patch the inside.

I wouldn't trust it over 5mph, but it did work.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has run a tube in his 42" Swampers for awhile now, including running low pressures off-road AND running it on the road a the speed limit.

Tubes will help keep the beads on a little, but nothing like I presume the Staun's do. Keep in mind that if you lower the pressure on a tubed tire, you lower the pressure in the tube. With Staun's you do NOT lower the pressure inside the tube, plus it's restrained to only hold the sidewalls tight.

We use tubes in tires all the time at work to held them from debeading, but these are at street pressures. However I still see tires get debeaded on a semi-regular basis. What usual happens is the tire bead comes off a little and then pinches and cuts the tube, or the tube spins and it rips out the valve core.

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yeah, that's another thing I was thinking about. I've had it happen with two-wheeled vehicles but I've not run enough tubes in four-wheeled vehicles to know if it was a problem or not.

I guess it's universal. :doah:

You could always put sheet metal screws through the wheel and into the bead to keep it from spinning. :D

Leper: That's the first time I've heard of someone bolting a hole closed in a tire. Crazy stuff! :eek1:

13. mikey_d05

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That's cool but I had to laugh when I read:

Yeah... just debead the tire. Apparently this guy hasn't tried to break the bead on a truck tire. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do!

Even his little How-To section starts with, "Once the Tire is off the rim..." :rolleyes:

15. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

not trying to change the subject but are stauns basicly like a double bead lock ?

16. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Kinda-sorta.

Think of it as another tire inside your tire that pushes out on the beads from the inside. Similar to a runflat.

There's a web site somewhere...

17. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a '42 Ford GPW that has never had a tire on it that was tubless, it was never designed for tubeless tires. Run the tube and don't worry about it, they are perfectly safe