Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tube sizes.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by g-wizz, Apr 27, 2006.

1. g-wizz

g-wizz Newbie

well this is a very general quiestion so ill try to make it more specific. the quiestion is what size tube will be suitiable for a roll cage, it will be dom of couse, but what size. i plan to build a buggy i have access to a bender with a 1.5" die. i can buy a bigger die. so what are your thoughts. i plan to make the blazer at least a foot narrower, and hopefully alot lighter. as in no roof glass interior jive. but it will probablly end up being heavy. oh and i plan to roll it alot.

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are at all doubtfull about your engineering skills use bigger tube. Like 2".

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I will be building my cage out of 1- 3/4 in DOM.

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

do a search, you will find a ton of discussion on this subject.

5. camokrawler

camokrawler Registered Member

i am using 2 inch DOM for my exo cage and flatbed frame, with lots of bracing and gusseting. i think it will hold. i am a master welder of sorts. everything but tig.

camokrawler

6. g-wizz

g-wizz Newbie

im not to doubt full of my engineering, i do plan to use alot of triangles. and what not. like i said i realized that my quiestion is very vague, i may just buy a 1.75 die for the bender, but that still leaves me to choose what thickness of tubing. i just wanted to know what people have used and what works and well dosent. what im building will not be the same size as a fullsize, it will have d44front gm 9.5 rear. dana 300,700r4 sbc and link suspension front and rear. i plan to run 37s with superiors and ctm. but as of now i have a severe time crunch and basically the faster i start welding and making the main frame the better off i am.

7. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

1 3/4 .120 wall DOM is what I would use. some guys dont like the extra cost and use .120 HREW tube.

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Well, I've used 1.5" x .120 wall HREW tube on 2 rigs I've built - this one being the latest:
    [​IMG]

Marv