Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube Step Bars. How?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NuBombs72K5, Jul 5, 2001.

1. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

I've seen several of our generation blazers with the side step bars. I know these are made to fit, but I would like to know how this is done. I read a post from Wulf's site where the guy had to cut on the rocker boxes. Is this the only way? This is a long way off, but I was just wondering. I finally got the blazer in the garage and quickly removed the gas tank and transfer case. She can't kick it out now- it won't move. Sure am glad I didn't sell it, having a great time. Later!

72 CST in the garage - it will leave....one day

2. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

As far as steps I haven't found a company that makes them for our blazers. Thats probably why the guy on Wulf's had to cut the rocker boxes. I guess if you want a set you'll have to do some fabricating of sorts.
    Good luck

Rasberry 71' K/5 Blazer
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/71blazer>http://www.geocities.com/71blazer</A>

3. NuBombs72K5

Ya. I figure I would, but I was just wondering if there is any other way.

4. Ryan_B

Ryan_B Registered Member

The guy that posted that on Wulf's old Blazer site would be me. I have some pic's of the chrome nerf bars I modified to work on a first gen blazer. See them on my webpage at:
    http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/_whatsnew.msnw
    Let me know what you think.
    ... And no my friend, these steps are not "made to install" you must cut and drill in several places.

As far as what was involved:
    I ordered some Chrome Smittybuilt Nerf bars for a '73 up K/5 blazer and Made sure they looked like they would work before i bought them...
    It is necessary to cut the front mounting point on the nerf bars. You must cut about 1 1/2" off and then drill a new hole.
    Then you'll need to cut a small slot in the rocker box. About 1/2" wide if that by 2" long. I did this with a 4 1/2" angle grinder.
    THen you'll have to drill the 4 holes per side to mount it.

Any more questions?
    Ryan

5. NuBombs72K5

That's what I was looking for. I knew we would have to "make them fit". Your reply is exactly what I wanted to know. If that is the only way then I'll go for it. Just looking for the knowledge. Thanks!

6. k5hunter

k5hunter Registered Member

I saw a set in the LMC catalog for C,K 10&20 trucks. No drilling required $329.95. I think they'll work. www.lmctruck.com

7. NuBombs72K5

I've got the latest catalog, and they say 73 and up. I think Ryan is correct. It would be great if someone would make some. Thanks.

8. Ryan_B

Ryan_B Registered Member

Yes there are some nerf bars in the LMC catalog for Trucks, but you have to remember the reason these will work on the trucks is because they don't have rocker boxes like the blazers do.
    The rocker boxes on the blazers are to support the body when the Hard Top is removed.

I'll bet that if you bought those out of the LMC catalog for 69-72 Trucks, You wouldn't have to cut the front mounting point like you do on the other nerf bars (73 up blazer smittybuilt). Might save you that much work. ... But you'll still have to cut that slot in the rocker boxes to make it work. Can't tell you for sure.

I searched long and hard for some nerf bar tube steps, and couldn't find any "bolt ons" for first gen blazers.