Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tube to front and rear differential?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Denvermitch, Apr 6, 2000.

1. Denvermitch

Denvermitch Registered Member

I have a leak near my front differential and traced it down to the tube that runs to it. Any idea what this tube is for? Obviously contains fluid but I was under the impression that the differential was a sealed unit.

Thanks!

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The diff can't be completely sealed. The contents are under pressure and it needs a place to vent. That tube you found is the breather hose and you can't just seal it off. Try to seal around the base(without plugging it up) and see if it stops leaking.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem on my '74 k5, the vent tube elbow that comes out of the housing broke off, so i scratched my head for a few and then decided to tap the hole and thread in a new fitting (i removed the cover and flushed it out so i wouldn't have metal shavings in the diff.) attached the hose and no more leaks!