Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tubed front end and massive fender trimming on the K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Sep 7, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Just finished tubing the front end and creating my new tilt front clip (almost tilt-able, adding 6160 aluminum 1.5" .120 wall tubing around the edges so its light and easy to remove). Anyway, I lost a lot of weight (especially from the core support) and other than the new stiff ride, I'm quite happy. I dropped the hood down 4" and welded the fenders to the hood. The whole assembly is ready to tilt forward allowing me to step past the tire and work on the engine with ease. Heres a few pics of how it stands now. Also made a new set of 6160 aluminum tube doors but they didn't make it into the pics - they do look very bling bling so I may paint them black to disguise them. It's beginning to loose that stealthy look, but agressive is good too. I took the 3" body lift off so its sitting on 4" springs and nothing but trimming. It definately feels better at speed and more stable durring big climbs. Needs a big set of Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks now - looks a little empty in there!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pretty cool Mike,

Time to re-do that front bumper soon I guess? The truck is taking on a pre-runner kinda look to it now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, thats my backup bumper. I put it on there so I can cruise around town without getting hassled but its starting to grow on me a little. I'm reworking my other skid style bumper from before (made for a 3" body lift so its chopped up now)which was as wide as the frame rails and I'm still designing something to match the front end... cant make up my mind yet. I am however beginning to look more at desert speed and less at the rocks, its just more fun around here than crawling. Having already made the swap to 1 tons is making that a difficult transition as the truck gets lighter, the unspring weight is beginning to force around the sprung weight and demanding I make changes - might drop down to a smaller thinner tire to help. I have the need for speed!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My pig is too fat to fly...but you certainly have the motor and the light weight part covered nicely now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Its still too heavy and I'm running out of things to cut out - down to 4835 as of today... I'm still shooting for 3800 - 4200 with the full tube chassis (I hope!). Thankfully, I have a spoolmate on my miller 210 so this aluminum is beginning to pay off, where I can use it anyhow.

Whats the status of your truck, didnt you just get new tires again?

6. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

looking good mike, i like the lower look, u shouold make it to glamis and give ur truck a shot there, see if u can keep up!.

7. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Mike,

Looks cool!!! I love the whole front end cutting thing, think I got about one more season before the front of my blazer sees the tubing bender.

Keep up the great work. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Having already made the swap to 1 tons is making that a difficult transition as the truck gets lighter, the unspring weight is beginning to force around the sprung weight

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why I wont go 1 ton.

Mike, do you have any pictures of the Core Support? Im intersested in redoing the front of my truck in Fiberglass to save some wieght.

I want the front clip below because it has a 3" drop hood that looks stock.

[​IMG]

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

David - Glamis sounds like fun, this coming weekend? My TSL's are bald so hey, I'll bet they would float on sand a little better than before. I wouldn't say its out of the question, it really depends on how work goes this week. I still have to fab up an aluminum overflow tank for the radiator before I go hit the heat.

Rob - I'm beginning to like the air saw... I keep making 1" passes at the fenders but I'm running out of room, guess I'll have to move on to the back end now /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif and I thought you already chopped the front end up and tubed it???

Jason - The core support was a snap. I used 2"x2" square tubing on top of and as wide as the stock body mounts and bolted it to them. I ran tubing straight up and around the radiator and created a radiator mount. I ran tubing from the original fender bolt holes on the cab at the edges of the windshield forward to the edges of the radiator and midway down those braces to the cab, traingulated back to the center of the cab at the pin which holds the hood from entering the cab in a head on collision - all of it is bolt on. I also relocated the battery to the firewall on the passenger side next to the heater core (no A/C so your SOL there). No pics yet, But I will in the next time I go crawling since I'll leave the shell at camp and just run tubed! I dig that AutoFab kit but a little pricey. John is a great guy and puts a lot of hard work into his shop so I support him whenever I can! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The 4" hood drop makes a world of difference in visibility - especially on a 79 front end!

10. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

wow, i like it!!!!

11. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

thats the kind of thing i whant to do to my f-150 some day... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I like the look....

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Man, that really looks sharp.! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Have you thought about narrowing the front any?

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I will have to insist that you take some better photos (larger, clearer and with more daylight)...

To describe such fascinating mods, with such small and dark photos is "teasing"

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I narrowed each headlight in 8", does that count? They are the outer most part of the tube clip. I thought about narrowing the fenders and hood skins but the edges dont mate up very well after that and I'll wheel without them so effectively its very narrowed in the front.

I'll take better pics when I wheel it!

16. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looking damn good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif id also like to see more pics of the tilt part of the front end /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

so a few snips here and a few welds there /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif a narrowed prerunner bumper wouldnt look too bad. looks good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I saw you shorten the rear, ditch the tail gate, then raise your rockers about 10 inches that will give you a boat effect /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Also I second better pics, and slant the radiater support back about 5 inches after you do an electric fan set up, then just narrow that bumper and wheel the pee out of her!

19. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It just looks good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Makes me want to pull out my sawsall. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm very undecided about what to do about the rockers. I just bought a bulk of little 1/4" heims and aluminum tubing so I can mock up my link suspension on this mini tube frame I'm building. I've got this old 4x4 RC Truck that I haven't used in years sitting in the garage - it was 4 wheel independent suspension but I think I might make a 1/16th scale straight axle version of what I'm after and see how it all works together. I was going to slant the radiator back since I already run electric fans but decided to keep it upright and have easy to find radiator hoses for easy maintenance no matter where I might break down. Half the fun is in keeping the daily driving status and with Californias loopholes, thats going to be easier than I had originally thought.