Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tubing Bender Type

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Feb 4, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Are those 12 ton tubing benders that are on Ebay any good??? I want to get a bender, but need advice on what to get. OH,btw,I am POOR /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Here's a pic....
    [​IMG]
    Here's one of the auctions...
    Tubing Bender

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

There are people on POR that have used these with decent results.. BUt your best bet is to save your $$$ and get a good bender like a Pro Tools, JD2, etc..... You can get a bender and one die for about $560 shipped.

With the bender you have in your post, it is a PIPE bender and not a Tubing bender.... Pipe is measured by inside diameter and tubing is measured by outside diameter. So the size sizes will be off if you use tubing(DOM, ERW, HREW, Etc..).....

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Those are pipe benders, not a tube bender. The dies are made for the OD of pipe. However, the quality control sucks. I have seen 2" schedule 40 dies that are 1/4" to big for the pipe.

If you like wasting a lot of time and money kinking pipe, they are great. However, if you are VERY patient, they will bend pipe. Here's a a couple pics of bumpers I built using one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a pic of a bumper I built using a JD2 Model 4 hydraulic bender:

[​IMG]

The pics just don't do justice to the quality difference of the bends, but trust me, you can see the difference.

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree with DP_90. The pipe bender will kink the tubing and drive you crazy. I bought the Harbor Freight bender like shown in your photo, and wasted my time and a bunch of tubing /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I sold the bender in a garage sale and bought the JD2 bender. It works great although I added my own hydraulic ram to it to make the job quicker. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pie is measured buy inside diameter and tubing is measured by outside diameter.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I had been wonderin' how to measure that pie! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Marv

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Pie is measured buy inside diameter and tubing is measured by outside diameter.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I had been wonderin' how to measure that pie! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Marv

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... Well now you know! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I need to start paying more attention to my typing. Thats what I get for surfing CK5 while I am at work! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif