Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!! Tubing Benders AGAIN - WHAT SIZE DIES???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OK Guys,

I've selected the bender I want, and I found a tubing notcher I like too.....

The question is what size bending dies make the most sense to get? I figure a 2" is a "no-brainer" since that's what I'll need for the rollcage. But what about stuff like shock hoops, or smaller diameter stuff? I was thinking about maybe a 1.5" die and maybe a 1" die also....but since each one is about $200, I don't want to waste money on ones that I won't end up using.....

I also wouldn't mind hearing about what "bend radius" I should get on the dies, and if it's worth paying a premium for the dies that can bend 240 degrees instead of either 90, 120 or 180?

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Note I'm no expert, but I'd get a 1.75" and a 1.25" 180 degree on both. I'd use the 1.25 on braces and gussets and the 1.75 on structural type stuff like cages. Currently I have a 1.75" and a 1.50". All I ever use is the 1.75 though. The 1.5 is too close to the same size, but a 1" would be too small imho. And definatley get the 180 degree dies. Mine are 90 degrees and it really limits what i can do. Not really sure what you'd need a 240 degree die for though.

3. Greg72

Any suggestions on the CLR (Center Line Radius) to get?

There are usually a few to choose from, especially on the smaller dies....though when you choose a small radius, the minimum wall thicknesses get pretty BIG.....presumably to avoid kinking? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have 2", 1.5" and 1" dies. It works out good for all around. 1" is good for grab handles on your cage. Always get 180 dies, 240 you could not get the tube out after you bent it. As far as radius get the tightest radius that is offered for that size die.

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Just so you know we are expecting a CK5 consumer report on this bender and dies

6. Greg72

Butch,

I'm getting a little lost on some of the details, but it APPEARS that the 240 degree die is needed to create a 180 degree bend? I think it has to do with the fact that you need more degrees on the die than the "actual bend degrees" you are trying to achieve???

It looks like:
    240 gives you 180
    180 gives you 160
    120 gives you 110

Am I getting this right? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I am also learning some other important things....the minimum wall thickness of the material changes as you specify smaller bend radius dies.

A 2" die with a 6" radius requires .120" wall material, whereas that same die setup as a 7" radius only requires .095" material. This seems like a minor point, but I am hearing that the thicker material is going to be harder to find AND more expensive....

I guess I should be asking what the appropriate wall thicknesses are for things like 2" DOM vs. 2" Electric Welded Seam? I should have known this was going to turn into a bigger process than just "ordering a bender and a couple dies"!!!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

DOM (which unless you are wanting to tap it or sleeve it seems a waste to me) will give you those types of wall thickness IE .095, but HREW is pretty standard at .120 wall/ 11gauge / 1/8" depending on who you talk to. If you are doing any type of cage you want .120 wall .095 wall in 2" weighs 1.933lbs per foot and .120 wall 2" weighs 2.409 per foot so for less than 1/2lb per foot to me it is a no brainer to just go with .120 wall. If you draw out a 7" radius and a 6" radius on paper it will quickly become apparent that 6" is big and 7" is huge.
    As for price, bear in mine I work at a fab shop and therefore get better pricing than you will, but 20' of 2" .120 wall HREW costs me $15.20 so costs is not much of an issue either. You could probably buy it over the counter for 23-24 bucks a stick.
    I dont understand their die calc's. My 90 die will bend to 110 and my 180 bend will go so far that you have to cut the pipe in half to get it off as I came to find out the first time I used it. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    As far as once you get it and want to figure out how to make it work, go to the Pirate board under the tech section and download tube bending 101 it will make your life much easier.
    I find that 1/4 increments in the dies are nice to have but in no way necessary. 1.5" compliments 2" very well without the need for 1-3/4. Hope this helps and happy bending if you get a manual one it is 12pulls on the handle to achieve 90 bends so as a bonus you get a workout.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got a 1.75 x 5.5 180 degree die. I really want to add a 1 or 1.25 x ? 180 degree. That's about it though...

9. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Greg,
    What bender did you eventually decide to buy? I gotta start saving $$ for when it is my turn.

Tom

10. Greg72

Tom,

I've pretty much decided on the Pro-Tools M105, that other folks here at CK5 showed me. http://www.pro-tools.com/

As for the dies....I'm going to go with the 2" 240-degree 6" radius one....then maybe a 1" and a 1.5" also....

It turns out that the dies are not in stock, and the company is basically on vacation next week and can't ship anyway. Once they DO it's probably 7 - 10 days to get here (Florida to California) so I'd be getting my bender about the same time I was pulling out of the driveway to head for Moab!!!!

The price was up around $1100 equipped the way I wanted it, so I figured I'd rather have that money in my pocket before the trip.