Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tubing doors

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dieselmh, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Has anyone built/known anyone that has built tubing doors for a 1st gen? I want to build doors for my '70 out of either square or round (prefereably round) tubing and was trying to find if anyone may have some rough dimensions/instructions/hint/tips for me. I know that all K5s will have slightly different dimensions, but I'm not very good at sketching things out. I usually just have to do it, and make corrections as I go, which could get expensive/frustrating. I was just wondering if anyone may have some instructions somewhere as well as hinge and latch ideas. Should I use the factory hinges and door latches, or build my own? If anyone has any info or could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a good idea. That is one of the things on my list of mods I want to do but at the very bottom. I would say to go w/ factory hinges (welded on not bolted to make them lighter) so that you could swap them out faster. I don't know what I would do for the latch but you'll think of something. Good luck! I wanta see pics.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Biggray71 was trying to fab a set earlier this year. Send him a PM or search the forum, I think it was under "soft doors."

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You mean this thread:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=firstgen&amp;Number=173888&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have some pictures but nowhere to upload them to. Email me if you want some. I'm almost done cutting the door, I just have to weld the filler panel in. Cutting the inner panel of the door the same shape as the outer panel is harder than I thought it would be. I'm working on my bumper now, but when I get that done I'll continue on the inserts

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>BTW anyone need door internal parts? I seem to have 4 of everything [​IMG]

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Just an idea. if you used the square tubing or a small section of it around the latch area you could rig the stock latch into it. If you didnt want the door handle one of my hotrod magazines had a push button latch (non electric) for people with shaved door handles.also I went by Home Depot and they had some galvinized gate latches that attatched to post similair to door post. these might rattle a little, but with a piece if hard plastic tubing over the ctach it might stop.( a lot of electrical tape around the catch also worked on my old truck)

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

forgot something. that sliding door stop thing above the honges you'll probably have to do away with.

9. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Do you know what magazine had the small switch? I didn't really want to use the stock handle, I think it would look kinda goofy. I'm thinking about just making it so that it opens from the inside. Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming, I need all the help I can get.

Diesel

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

door switch

I'm stuck here at the coast guard station and cant get it right now. I get off duty tommorow and will find it. I'll see if I cant find a website for you too.

Nathan

11. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I found that latch company. it was called autolock. they have a website. In yahoo search for mechanical door hinges. That article was in street rodder (august 2001). I looked through there stuff and had to search for the mechanical latches. most of what they do is for hot rods that have hydraulics and lots of electricals so they werenr easy to find. i did some more thinkin and you might could use a trunk latch that was pushbutton from a junkyard. I also chcked home depot and they had several latches that could work. It just depends on what youre looking for.hope this helps
    nathan

12. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I haven't decided what type of latch I'll use yet. I'll probably wait until the doors are complete, then design a latch.

Diesel