Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tubing notcher

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mobile_Mechanic, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

I'm looking for a decent notcher to help with my fabrication. Tired of using my grinder. Need it for up to 3 to 3.5" for roll cage, rock sliders, ect... Any ideas?

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Harbor Freight???

3. Mobile_Mechanic

Harbor freight only lists 3. And they only go to 2 ". pretty cheap though. The most expensive was $70.00.

4. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

the one from harbor freight lasted me one day,the bushing went fast it was still better than grinding

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Try WIlliamsLowBuckTools.com?......or maybe it's just LowBuckTools.com?

Anyway, they've got notchers.....and not just those dangerours "hole saw" style ones......check 'em out! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

it would seem to me, that getting a drill press, with a vice, and a set of hole saws going up to the size you need would be the way to go with this... plus, then you've got a drill press to boot.

-Rich

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yard sales.... if you got time check into them. I find cool stuff every so often. I got a tube bender once for cheap, however it got stolen, but still it was an awesome deal. Also if you have any local flea markets where people can sell their stuff like a yard sale look into that.... it's a shot in the dark but you never know....

8. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I don't think the hole saw notchers will notch tube bigger than 2" probably because most tube benders don't bend tube bigger than 2". I have one from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jd2.com>www.jd2.com</a>. It wasn't cheap, but it has a sealed bearing, and will last a lot longer than the ones with bushings (harbor freight). You basically get what you pay for with notchers. I've built 6 bumpers with mine so far, and been through 10 hole saws with not a single problem from the notcher.

BIGJ

9. Mobile_Mechanic

Great info, thanks. I noticed that the notchers you guys listed only went to 2", would this be big enough for a roll bar? Double hoop with single kickers or should I go with 3" and use the grinder?

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

IMO 2 x .120 HREW is generally considered more than adequate for a full size cage in a rock crawler. If you do sand or Baja type stuff, you probably want to go smaller and stronger with DOM or Molly for weight savings AND the ability to hold up to 70+ mph rolls. If your talking just "roll bar" then I don't know about that. Most "roll bars" are really just fancy light hangers and, while better than nothing, are not designed to be "used" in a roll over. If your trying to build a stronger “roll bar” that would actually be semi-functional then I would go ahead and get a cage. Not that much more trouble, and MUCH more functional. Heck, you can buy a pre-bent cage from S&amp;W now for what a decent roll bar will cost.

Edit: Oops, just reread your original post. Looks like you are talking about a cage after all and probably not interested in buying a S&amp;W. 3" is way too big IMO. I'm leaning hard toward 1.75 x .120 to build a cage for myself.

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

3" roll cage? I've never seen anyone use 3" before. Duno if it is weeker or what but most are 1"3/4 rolled steel(seamless).
    Good Luck

12. Mobile_Mechanic

Sorry, I should have been more specific. What I want to do is put a roll bar in the bed of my pick-up, and later install a cage inside the cab. I know to tie it into the frame for optimum performance and all, just looking for an easier way to weld it together.

13. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

i dont think that attaching it to the frame would be the best thing to do. if that cab and frame seperate youre stuck in the middle!

14. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

BadDod...What does S&amp;W stand for? Would like to know where to purchase a good cage but don't know who your talking about. Gary

15. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status