Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tubing notcher?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 70~K5, May 27, 2002.

1. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Who make the tubing notcher that uses bi-metal hole saw? Or is there another cheap tube notcher?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Harbor Freight sells them cheap, I bought one and it works well. $30 bucks

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I got one of the HF units too. Unfortunately, it won't fit in my drill press so I'll have to rig it, or use a hand drill. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Clamp it in a bench vice and use a Half inch drill and it will work fine.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Dang this is great. I remember seeing the ads in mags 10 years ago and these things were about $300.00. Maybe they were beter built but at $40.00 I can afford one now.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

They still make notchers that go that high and higher. Some are shears where you just pull the handle and voila, notched tube. Others have nice bearings on the shaft and better quality fixtures. The HF model is a cheap piece of Chinese junk with cheap non-replaceable brass bushings and cheap cast crap construction. From what I’ve heard they will generally last long enough for a couple of cages if you take care of them. That’s one reason I was disappointed it wouldn’t fit my press. The press would take most of the load off the bushings and make it last longer. Plus, I’m getting to old to hold onto a 1/2 drill while it gnaws it’s way through tube after tube. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Mine didn't fit my press either, so I built a new stand out of a longer piece of tubing and swapped the drill and the adjustable plate on to it. Now it works great. The HF notcher has bushings so you have to maintain it with grease. I've cut into the hundreds of notches with it and it still works as good as new. My only complaint was in purchasing a bi metal hole saw with a 1 1/2" diameter which was not 1 1/2" deep counting the attatching bolt, so it would bottom out on the tubing just before maiking it all the way through on a center cut. Other than that, I have no complaints.