Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tubing questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wasted wages, Dec 5, 2003.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I'm new to the list and I know there is alot of debate about this, but I have just purchased a MIG welder and wanting to know what is acceptable tubing to use to make cages out of. DOM,,,welded seam,,,,what thickness,,what diameter and what style /brand of bender is do-able for home garage use without breakng my wallet,,,,Thanks

2. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

try a search on tube benders or tube bending. there's been a ton of stuff on it over the last several months/years. welcome to ck5
    ernest

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Just personal preferance and what i use here at the shop

1 3/4 .120 wall regualr steel tubing (NOT PIPE) if you are gonna go crazy get cro-moly or DOM (i still havnt figured the difference.) you can make the reg steel tubing work. i know cor-mo and DOM is lighter but i don't feel the $$/ weight a benifical tradeoff for the budget minded.

we have a JD-2 bender at the shop--regular ol' muscle to bend it. We have about 6 dies but use 1 3/4 and 1 1/2 the most so i would reccommend those 2. This setup IS pricey, but think about how much you are gonna spend on one cage.

my $.02,

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

DOM isn't lighter. It's HREW to tighter tolerances is all, the only thing that makes it different is the manufacturing process. It is also a welded seam tube.

HREW is just fine for cages and stuff.

Rene

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I built my own cage and stuff this summer. I am no pro and did it all with normal fab tools (welder, chop, saw grinder, and a buddies bender). I found out two things, first you will waste a good 60 feet of tube before the thing fits the way you want it, second metal working outside with no shade during the summer in Phoenix really sucks. I used 2" .120 wall hrew tube and an m-tech bender, they are sold locally here so it was a natural choice. It is one of those hand benders. Some simple guidelines I would use if I did it all over again:
    Use 1.75 od .120 wall hrew. the 2 inch doesn't give that much more strength but it is a hell of a lot harder to bend. DOM is really not worth it, it is twice the price. Most fab shops use hrew anyway except when specified, or for highspeed racing applications. DOM -vs- HREW is like particle board -vs- plywood, once you paint and finish it nobody will really notice a difference. Looking into, and using, gusseting will make the cage much stronger.

I gotta stop being so wordy /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif