Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tubing - size and cutting question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Jul 3, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I bought some square tubing for a project I'm working on for the k20.
    What I was looking for was square tubing that had a 2" inside diameter and was 1/4" thick.
    What I bought was 2" x 2" x 0.250".
    Being a novice, that turned out to be 2" OD.
    So, what I NEED to buy is 2.5" x 2.5" x .250", right? That would be a 2" hole, right? So that the tubing I bought by mistake would fit inside it?
    Also, I don't have a chop saw or an oxy torch. So, would a jig saw work out all right using a metal blade?
    -- Mike

2. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Yup, as you discovered tubing is spec'd on the outside diameter, unlike pipe which specs the ID.

John

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Also, 2" tubing will not fit inside 2.5 x .250 tubing. There is a seam in there, and, even if there were no seam, it wouldn't fit because you need some clearance for a slip fit. To slide the 2" tube inside, you'll need receiver tube which measures just over 2" inside and has the seam cut out.

I would truly hate to cut that stuff with a jig saw. Takes a while to do it with my band saw or chop saw. I guess it *could* be done, but who would want to. Even a reciprocating saw would be a pain. Maybe get a steel cutting abrasive wheel for a circular saw or something like that?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Buy some "Zip-Cut" discs for a Skill saw, or thin abrasive wheels for a grinder. Both of these are suited to cutting material such as tubing. Theoretically the 2"x2" should fit into the 2.5"x2.5", but it will get hung up on the welded seam inside the tube. The 2"x2" would fit inside .188" wall 2.5"x2.5" quite easily though.

Rene

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If you remove the seam and do some cleaning to the outside of your 2", it will fit the 2.5 x .250 wall tube. Thats what I have for both my receivers on my K5. I hate that sloppy slip fit that is on stock receivers.

Depdog

6. BadDog

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The 2"x2" would fit inside .188" wall 2.5"x2.5" quite easily though

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm using for my roll cage to rocker slider mounts. Works great. There is enough slop to make it easy to slide the cage on and off, even if it's not perfectly aligned due to welding distortion.

7. BadDog

How did you cut out the seam? I can see how maybe you could remove material from the 2" square tube with a belt sander or something, if your careful. But getting more than the first 1-2" of the seam would be a problem...

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a small air powered die grinder at work...I have removed the weld seam up to about 4" depth with a small carbide burr. It's just a lot of work.

Rene