Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tubular steering Tierod

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RocKKer, Apr 11, 2005.

1. RocKKer

RocKKer Newbie

I have a 90 Blazer fullsize, 4" lift, 10 bolt - detroit front, 33X12.5 15 - 8 lug conversion, 14bff rear, 250K total - less on running gear.

I just noticed the left side ball joints are loose as well as the left end of the steering tierod.

I read the ball joint posts and will be doing that this week.

I have a question about the tierod, almost $100 for a new left end (drivers side - the long end). I was thinking of replacing it with an aftermarket tubular tierod and using replaceable tierod ends for a little more ($85 + whatever a new end costs) and I like the idea that the both ends now would be replaceable. I can use the right side end for now, as it seems ok. This is my everyday driver so I don't think I want heim's.

I have seen one at offroad design, so I'd be lookin for something similar.

Here is one at Offroaddesign

Not sure what to do about the steering stabilizer because on the original it bolts to a hole in the tierod.

Does this sound like a good upgrade?

What are some other manufacturer of tubular tierods? I do like the offroaddesign stuff, I have some of their other stuff and they seem to be good.

Edit: corrected spelling :blush:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

ORD's stuff is always nice....

I bought a RockRod from Rockstomper about 4 years ago and it was really nice also. Last time I talked to Scott at Rockstomper, he was holding off on the RockRods due to steel prices. But give him a call, because things may have changed.

With the aftermarket tie rods, you buy a bracket that bolts onto the tierod via some u-bolts and then use the factory stab mount on the axle tube....

There is a write up in the product reviews on the main page here where Steve installed a RockRod with 1 ton tie rod ends. Nice upgrade and a good investment! :thumb:

3. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

MO Offroad also makes a nice product...

http://www.mo-offroad.com/TieRods01.html

I have posted up about other Al options but that was pretty heavily frowned upon. Most guys say to stick with the thick DOM tubing.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I can't help much on the aftermarket steering, but the factory piece at PartsAmerica is only $44.73, part #DS893

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

6. RocKKer

RocKKer Newbie

Appreciate all the posts!

Tomorrow I will call the links that were given and get more info.

I looked at the review here on the rockstomper install - that will make it easy.

Another question - there are lifetime tierod ends and non lifetime - but you pay over double the cost for lifetime, $25 compared to $65. Is it worth getting the lifetimes for a somewhat easily replaceable item?

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I got my lifetime warranty tierod ends from Checker Auto parts for $26 each.

8. RocKKer

RocKKer Newbie

Done with balljoints on the left side and got my new steering tierod. Will do the right side at a later time. Left was loose and right is ok for now.

I went with WFO for the steering tierod - they happened to be inexpensive and only 30 minutes away from my house. I was kinda in a hurry anyway - needed to be done for a trip this weekend.

I called WFO and talked to Trevor yesterday afternoon, he asked for a measure and he said he'd make it and be ready the next day. I went there this morning and true to his word, it was done. Paid the man took it home and installed.

As far as steering rods go this is a beautiful thing, Workmanship is first class! Thanks Trevor! :D

New balljoints and a new tierod sure make a big difference! It's like driving a new truck.