Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tucked her in- but she's still gonna freeze!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudNurI, Jan 20, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

tucked her in- but she\'s still gonna freeze!

ohhhh boy- it's been below zero here for the last week with windchills around -30'...the ol girl just doesn't like it....she wont start, she crys when I try...have the D/A plugged in (first time in over a year owning it)..have a big work light under the hood of my car, keeping the battery and sort warm...but the ol /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is left out in the yard to freeze...

my neighbors must think I'm freakin nuts... I took out a few of our old comfortors...you know the kind that go on your bed....popped the hood- wrapped one on the top 1/2 of the engine tucked it all in...climbed under the ol girls, and wrapped another one around the bottom 1/2...she's got too much ground clearance, and the wind goes whipping through her underside...poor girl....she feels like a plumber with his crack hanging out working on an outdoor faucet in an Alaska Winter....

Wonder if she'll start tomorrow.....oh the poor ol girl..

Brandy

2. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Re: tucked her in- but she\'s still gonna freeze!

YOu actually tucked your truck engine into bed for the night? HAHA thats the first time I have heard of someone doing that but if it works it works. Let us know how well it starts up tommorow.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think that you're just wasting your time. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif If it's 5 below outside, then by morning the engine block will also be 5 below. Even if the wind is blowing 80 mph, the temperature is still 5 below and the engine won't get any colder than that. Wind chill just means that an object subjected to a certain temp at a certain wind speed will lose its heat faster than if there was no wind. But once that object has reached ambient temperature, it doesn't get any colder, regardless of the wind.

There are a few things that you can do to make a cold engine start easier. First is to run a full synthetic oil. They don't contain the parrafins that are always left behind in the standard oil refining process. Parrafins are what make standard oils get so thick in cold temps. Mobil1, Castrol Syntec, Amsoil and other full synthetics flow much better at sub-zero temps. Another thing you can do is add an engine block heater, like your Duramax has. They cost about $20. You have to remove one of the freeze plugs on the engine to install the block heater, but it works much better than the heaters that plug into the lower radiator hose. I don't remember what year your truck is, and it doesn't say in your profile, but if it has a carb then make certain that the choke is operating properly.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I thought of a couple more things. Does the engine spin over at least fairly quickly in cold weather? There' s nothing like sub-zero temps to let you know that your battery is getting tired. Make sure all the battery connections are good. I've taken apart side-post battery connections that looked fine, only to find that the rubber seal on the cable end was hiding corrosion from view.

Starters will also sometimes slowly go bad over time. The factory starter on my S-Jimmy always started the engine, but after 11 years and 120K+ miles, it started freewheeling sometimes, instead of engaging the flywheel. Once I replaced it I was totally amazed at how fast the new one would spin the engine over! The old one had slowly lost strength over such a long period of time that I hadn't noticed it.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Well, it was either my truck or my car got warm by the drop light tonight--- since I don't drive the truck in the winter, I don't really care if it doesn't run.....

It was more done as a joke........The battery is new, it's just a matter that the truck is cold, and I haven't started it in probably a 8-9 days...normally I have been starting it every other day- to keep it's juices flowing etc.

we run full synthetic- Mobil 1 Delvac in our Duramax, but with 200K on this 305- it's a waste of $$..

the truck's an 86, the choke/carb are fubar....that's another reason it's not starting very well. It turns over fine- battery is okay...and if I kept at it, it probably would purr...but my luck I'd kill the new battery..not fun.....

plus- on the bright side, I don't need it to start...I'm just sure my neighbors were laughing.....oh well...

Brandy

6. st08x

st08x Registered Member

yea i hate the cold weather, i live in texas though so cold is the the 40s for me. but in the morning it is always a pain starting my truck. the stupid automatic choke would never work right and it would turn off before the engine was warm enough. i messed with it this weekend so i will find out tomorrow morning if it worked. apartedly the last time it was worked on somebody didn;t know how to line up some settings right so i thought the choke was on all the way but it wasnt. i think i turned the cold idle up too high though.

My K-5

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

We head outside and enjoy the weather if it hits the 40's in the winter! We see lows like that all the time in the summer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

im from alaska and sometimes the only way to start your vehicle is to put a spaceheater under the engine for an hour or so.also most people leave their cars runningwhen they go into stores so its still warm when hey come back out.40 degrees and 40 below are a big difference though.