Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tuff Country 4" ezride, hill shackles, and no sway bar? opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 20, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Tuff Country 4\" ezride, hill shackles, and no sway bar? opinions

How will it work out? I'm looking at the price of sway bar bushings and disconnect kit, and though its not expensive I'm just wondering if I shouldn't just forget the sway bar all together? Any opinions how it would go with 4" TC EZ-Rides and hill shackles? K5 is my daily driver by the way.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Tuff Country 4\" ezride, hill shackles, and no sway bar? opinions

take corners really slow. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif IMO, if its a DD and thats the setup you're going to run, I think you should keep your anti-sway bar. I dont run one... but then I have stiff as heck front springs...

j

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have superlift springs and I too have thought of ditching my swaybar since I've cut my fenders. Is it scary to drive without it?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

alright sway bar it is. oh well

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i take tight corners veery slowly in my anti-sway-bar-less rig... even with those stiff as heck 4" rancho HD springs. I'd think with really soft springs like tuff countrys it'd be even worse. I guess if you wanted to make sure, you could always install the lift, remove the anti-sway bar and drive it around town for a week or so. If it feels ok to you then theres no need to call ORD. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I may do that yet, the body roll I have now is scary to most people but its fine to me. i'd be happier if it didn't roll like that but I can deal with it.

7. seanp

seanp Registered Member

My 79 pickup had stiff as heck 6" springs and i didn't even notice the missing sway bar. But with those plush Tuff countries that might be a whole different story.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run 2.5" front springs without a sway bar. I don't mind it at all. It does tend to scare some people though. The thing that really scares them though is the welded rearend. It starts to hop and squeal tires. This scares them more then the body roll. I personally don't mind either, and neither bother me.

4" springs should be stiffer then my 2.5" springs so I don't see a problem without a swaybar. You could try it and if you don't like it order the swaybar disconnects. I had them on my truck, but after driving with it disconnected I didn't mind the difference and I sold them.

I have heard mixed reports about the Hill Shackles though. I have heard that they mess up front driveshaft angles alot and other side effects. I run the ORD HD shackles. I like them. No bad angles and alot beefier then the stock pieces.

Oh ya, my truck is a DD also. (when the POS is running /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)

Harley

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

know how the running part can be. I just ordered a brand new carb for mine finally. I am planning the same front setup that Steve used to run. TCs with hill shackles, 2.5 degree shims(fix that angle problem), F250 towers, and long travel ranchos. I want about 5-5.5" of lift all around so this is the plan for me.

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have 4" procomps, hill shackles, and no sway bar on my suburban and i drive it every day with no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. muddysub

[ QUOTE ]
    I have heard mixed reports about the Hill Shackles though. I have heard that they mess up front driveshaft angles alot and other side effects.

[/ QUOTE ] they do!! i have them and personally i would reccommend not buying tham. my sub gets a death wobble at times because of them.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I guess Zero Rates and the 4" springs will be cheaper than hill shackles and the 4"s. Though I should still get ORD shcakles.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

muddy do you have shims angling to fight the hill shackle? as has been said I will always want bigger so if I could go with hill shackles and leave the option of zero rates open for the future I'd be much happier, but I don't want driveability issues.

14. muddysub

no, no shims yet, as its parked until atleast x-mas

15. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i was running 4" heavy duty tuff countrys (just a hair stiffer), hill shackles, and ORD disconects. after a while i just stopped reconecting my sway bar. then i sold the disconects. you will get a little more body roll but it only bothers you for about 15 min or so. then your used to it and its kind of fun. i sometimes floor it around tight corners to see how much i can make the body roll. you should run longer than stock shakles because when you flex you front suspention, the high side spring eye will contact the frame. i would suggest the ORD ones thou because they are greese-able. so, maybe try it for a week like sombody said, then decide. i promiss you wont die /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

When I did my first lift I was running exactly what your talking about and it worked great. It was my DD back then as well. I didn't experience DW until I went to the 41" XLs and before that I was running 38.5 TSL SX's. I also ordered the hill shackles with 1/2" holes so I could use the ORD greasable bushings. I wouldn't hesitate to run that setup one moment. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I'm going with the hill shackles, after hearing that muddysub isn't using shims I get it. I'm only planning 35s or 37s so I think I will be doing good.

18. muddysub

[ QUOTE ]
    you will get a little more body roll but it only bothers you for about 15 min or so. then your used to it and its kind of fun. i sometimes floor it around tight corners to see how much i can make the body roll.

[/ QUOTE ] yes it is very fun at times, u get used to how far u can push it and yur passengers arent used to it so u can scare them. my ex g/f back in vegas got scared a lot, she'd swear we were about to roll when i knew we were a loooooooooooonnnng way from it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

My Sub has 4" TC EZ rides, without a front swaybar, and it isn't to bad....I drive kind of conservatively though. It hasn't bothered me a bit, but then agaaain I haven't had to make any higher speed evasive actions yet, like a deer running out in front of you or something....

I have considered replacing the rear sway bar bushings and hooking it back up, but I see so many S.B. Disconnects around here that I feel the difference is probably minimal....

I would like to tighten up the rear sway a bit however....

20. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yes it is very fun at times, u get used to how far u can push it and yur passengers arent used to it so u can scare them. my ex g/f back in vegas got scared a lot, she'd swear we were about to roll when i knew we were a loooooooooooonnnng way from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, its just so good!!!!!!!!!!