Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tuff country 4" hd lift front springs vs 6" ez rides rats not allowed?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stretch67, Jun 17, 2004.

1. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

tuff country 4\" hd lift front springs vs 6\" ez rides rats not allowed?????

hi i know another lift question. i am currently running a tuff country 4" hd lift front springs in my 67 gmc also ord 1" body lift i just ordered 6" tuff country ez ride springs for more lift. i am running 35" tires and had rubbing with the 4". my question is the info for ez rides states smallblock only. i have a 454-th400-np208 thats why i used the 4"hd. will the ez rides sag with a bigblock? can i use the extra leaf from the 4" hd's? i also have a extra set of ord zero rates that i could use. any advice would help so i don't have to change parts after i install everything thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: tuff country 4\" hd lift front springs vs 6\" ez rides rats not allowed?????

I think you will likely have problems with those soft springs and a big block.

I would have chose a BDS, Superlift, or Skyjacker spring instead.

3. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

Re: tuff country 4\" hd lift front springs vs 6\" ez rides rats not allowed?

no personal experience, but people suggest HDs even with just a heavy bumper and a winch on front, but than again...

4. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

Re: tuff country 4\" hd lift front springs vs 6\" ez rides rats not allowed?????

I am swapping in a big block right now too, and was planning on running 6" BDS springs up front...but I never thought about the big block causing problems with these. so are the BDS springs ok for this setup?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I am swapping in a big block right now too, and was planning on running 6" BDS springs up front...but I never thought about the big block causing problems with these. so are the BDS springs ok for this setup?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the BDS would be fine. If not, they have a great warranty program so you can get them replaced.

6. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

When I swapped to a 454 I also decided to change to 6" springs. I took the hd leaf from the 4" pack and put it on the 6" pack. Easy to do and now I feel more comfortable. Lift height does change when you do that though.

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I would install the 6" springs and let the weight of the vehicle down to see where it sits....bear in mind that the springs will settle some with age......and then use zero rates to raise it if you need to instead of adding an additional leave to the pack. That way you have the softer ride/flexy spring but still have the ride height you are looking for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

thanks bigyellowjimmy thats what i wanted to hear! the front was pretty rough riding with the 4"hd springs. i know the hd springs are the same as ez ride with the heavy extra bottom leaf. but tuff country does not sell a 6" hd not sure why the rears i have are ez ride also so a softer front would be nice!

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think I'd get the tuff country 4" hd lift front springs...

"madmike" just bent some 6" lift BDS springs...
    he's running a 454..
    But he did Flop the rig... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif