Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tuff Country 4" lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by korndog, May 8, 2005.

1. korndog

korndog Registered Member

I have a 1984 3/4 ton suburban 4wd. I want to install a TC 4" lift. MY suburban has the dual front shocks from the factory. Will these shocks be the the same extended length or is one longer than the other? I need to know so when I order the kit, I get the the correct size shocks. I looked on the TC website but cannot find any info. Thanks for your help.

Kory

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

They are the same, you can also only run one if you like.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

in thier catalog they have different part numbers for the two shocks. i believe the one thats straight up and down is 1" longer. the one that leans back is the standard location.here's the link to thier catalog

http://www.tuffcountry.com/shocks.html

i'd reccomend ditching the quad setup. thats what i did and very pleased. rides much smoother.

is this truck going to be a wheeler or pavement only? there are some tricks you can do with shock choice to provide better flex. when i've gotten shocks designed for a particular lift, they've usually been too short. almost fully extended at ride height. what i did was use a rear shock in the front, mounted in the aux position(straight up and down). now the shocks dont max out and limit travel.

4. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Did I read that right, Johnny, so it actually rides better with only 1 set up front? Why did GM ever use 2?

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Depends on your setup. My front springs are stiff to compensate for a planned winch/bumper. Running only one shock per side was less smooth for me. I also use the "burb to tow stuff so disconnecting the sway bar (another common setup) is out of the question right now.

6. korndog

Thank you for your help

I just ordered a 4" EZ ride lift, front springs and rear blocks. This lift is just for looks as this is my wifes daily driver. I can't wait to get it and install it. They said 5 to 10 business days, I sure hope it's 5!!!!! I will post some before and after pics once I get the lift installed.

Thanks again for your help

Kory

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Cool, just be aware though, that even though you are getting the EZ-ride setup, it WILL still ride alittle rougher than stock, i was quite suprised at the difference i had in ride quality, i even removed a leaf to help out with the harshness. make sure you post up some pics before and after.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've driven a few trucks with 4" Tuff Country lift that rode better then stock. I'm not a fan of blocks in the rear, I prefer a shackle flip over blocks.

9. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

hey KornDog,

Please do post up some pix and your impressions of the lift, I am looking at Tuff Country for a lift for essentially the same vehicle (84 3/4ton Burb). Are you adding any additional weight up front like bumper and winch?

When I replaced my shocks, the dual fronts were indeed different lengths.

I plan on running the dual front shocks on my rig but if you run just a single I am interested on your impression of it.

Don't forget those before and after pix :)

10. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I installed 4" HD TC springs up front, a ORD shakle flip in the rear w/stock springs, and got rid of the quad shock set up in the front. I went with One (1) Rancho 9000x at each corner, and it rides better than stock. This is most likely do to the better shocks. The springs are stiffer, but I opted for these due to axle swap and medium towing (1 quad/3 bikes) with my K5

11. korndog

I just got an email stating my order has been shipped. I can't wait. I am going with the quad shock set up in front. The only thing I may change in the front is build a tube bumper. I will be sure to post before and after pix. I just wish this was my daily driver instead of the wifes, but I need a truck for work :frown1:

Kory

12. korndog

Well the front springs, rear blocks, steering arm and all the hardware just showed up at my front door. Just waiting on the shocks now. Hopefully they will be here by tomorrow.

Does anyone have any helpfull tips on making this install easier? I know, I know make sure the fridge is full of beer... :D . Will I need any special tools to remove and install the new steering arm?

Thank you in advance
    Kory

13. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I installed a TC 3" lift up front, and 4" blocks in rear. My truck sagged in the rear. Now it sits level and looks great. I also have the 4 shock setup in front (from factory) and I stuck with it as well. I have driven stock K5's without this set up and they may ride a little smoother, but they sway/roll badly in a turn/curve, such as on/off ramp on interstate. My truck does not sway/roll at all. I don't do alot of wheeling so no need for flex or anything like that. Mine truck is a "nice truck" as they have been referred to around here lately. As far as the ride quality with the new lift, I don't really notice it being any better or worse than stock. I will definitely stick with the quad setup. To each his own. I do have some vibration in my driveline now. I have ordered a new shaft w/ a CV joint up front. I doubt you will have that problem with a burb cuz they are so much longer.

14. korndog

Thanks for the help, any more out there?

15. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I also installed the 1.5 inch rear wheel spacers. I think that made as much difference in the looks as the lift. You might want to try it. Just a suggestion.

16. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

what size blocks did you get?

17. korndog

4" blocks