Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tuff country 4in vs. 6in with 35's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, Feb 27, 2003.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

tuff country 4in vs. 6in with 35\'s?

i'm getting a lift kit within the next week or 2 but i can't decide if i want a 4in or a 6in, i'm goin all spring.. i'm going to be running 35x12.50x15 BFG Muds.. i'm wondering if there goin to look small on a 6in lift or just right,, also with a 6in, i need a driveshaft spacer, steering arm, brake lines, t-case drop kit and what else? who else has tuff country 6in and what's the actual lift it put on your rig? Anyone have some pics of a 4in with 35's and a 6in with 35's??? ..also i think the 35's are gonna hurt my tranny with my gears, any input on that would be great also.. thanks.

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Re: tuff country 4in vs. 6in with 35\'s?

Here's a 6" and 35" BFG's (with fender trimming).

[​IMG]

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i'm getting a lift kit within the next week or 2 but i can't decide if i want a 4in or a 6in, i'm goin all spring.. i'm going to be running 35x12.50x15 BFG Muds.. i'm wondering if there goin to look small on a 6in lift or just right,, also with a 6in, i need a driveshaft spacer, steering arm, brake lines, t-case drop kit and what else? who else has tuff country 6in and what's the actual lift it put on your rig? Anyone have some pics of a 4in with 35's and a 6in with 35's??? ..also i think the 35's are gonna hurt my tranny with my gears, any input on that would be great also.. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ] I'd go 6" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Have you consittered doing a ORD shackel flip with 2" lift springs for the rear ??? Would give you same lift, and ride better IMHO. 35's look good with 6" lift, and with alittle fender trimming,and maybe a body lift, you can go to larger tires in the future if wanted.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    . 35's look good with 6" lift, and with alittle fender trimming

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, not on my rig. I need some 38's!

5. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

cool, what do you guys think about my gears, i'm gonna change my tranny fluid so it might help from wear on that.. i'm not gonna be romping on it alot but i don't want to change my axles yet, i'm spending all my money on the lift and tires.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif u think i should be ok?

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

308 will be doggy with 35's. Hope it doesn't burn up your transmission. Axle swaps are really easy to do while you're installing a lift. I really recomened doing the axle swap at the same time. I don't know what you plan on for axles, I went the 3/4 ton rought. I picked up a set of 78 3/4 ton axles for $250.00 . Look around and find yourself some axles with 373 to 456 gears befor you do your lift. Wouldn't want to hear you fried a tranny.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    . 35's look good with 6" lift, and with alittle fender trimming

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, not on my rig. I need some 38's!

[/ QUOTE ] 6" for 35's, fender trimming, and maybe a body lift for larger tires. Tim, when you getting some 44's for your rig ???

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Tim, when you getting some 44's for your rig ???

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Not until I have some 5.13's! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    308 will be doggy with 35's. Hope it doesn't burn up your transmission. Axle swaps are really easy to do while you're installing a lift. I really recomened doing the axle swap at the same time. I don't know what you plan on for axles, I went the 3/4 ton rought. I picked up a set of 78 3/4 ton axles for $250.00 . Look around and find yourself some axles with 373 to 456 gears befor you do your lift. Wouldn't want to hear you fried a tranny.

[/ QUOTE ] Do just go to a junkyard and tell them i need some 4.56 gears in some new axles? will any axles fit my truck?

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

3/4T axles with 4.56's are out there, but it's not likely you will find any. You can probably pick up a set of 3/4T axles with 4.11's that would give you good performance and highway manners. They will be relatively cheap, and almost a complete bolt in, save for a few minor details. Look around both here (in the for sale section) and locally for a set of 3/4 ton, 4.11 geared axles. They should not be more than about $400-$500, depending on condition.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Do just go to a junkyard and tell them i need some 4.56 gears in some new axles? will any axles fit my truck?

[/ QUOTE ] Really depends what you want to do with your truck. So people that are into desert racing, go with a 12 bolt in the rear and Dana 44 up front. Hard core rock crawlers like the 1 ton axles (14 Bolt FF out back, and Dana 60 up front) I'd love to have a Dana 60 myself, but at $1,000.00 on up, that alittle pricey for me. 3/4 Ton axles (14 Bolt FF rear, Dana 44 front) can be a good comprise. There are other options, but I'll tell you about what I know. The 3/4 ton axles are almost a strait bolt in. You'll need a conversion U-Joint for the rear, But if you'll be haveing new drive shafts made ( I did, at appprox. $200.00 per shaft) just have them made with the correct ends for your app. Only draw back with the 3/4 tons is you'll need new rims. 3/4 and 1 ton axles use 8 lug wheels, where as the 1/2 ton axles use 6 lug rims.

12. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

so i'll need new axles for about 300-500 and new drive shafts, and new u-bolts.. that's more than i want to spend on all that,, how much to get my rearend regeared to 4.56's? man there's alot more to lifting a truck and putting tires on it than i thought..

13. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

To regear your front and rear will cost ROUGHLY:

Gears: $250 (or so.)
    Install Kits: $175-$200 (or so)
    LABOR: anywhere from free if you have a buddy do it (or do it yourself) to $300 or more.

You may be able to find used gears, but you can figure on having a gear swap cost you $350+. This is one reason why so many people swap in 3/4 ton gear (with lower gears) wether they need it or not.

14. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifok, so i guess before my lift and tires i'm gonna sit back and wait....... so anyone got any spare 4.56 or 3.73 gears in seattle/tacoma area they wanna sell? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif....

15. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

4" with 35" ATs on 8.5 x 16.5" rims now.

I did the ORD front Shackle extension, and a 1" body lift for my Doubler. I really haven't had a problem with rub except for the extreme corners of the fenders in the front.

I prefer the lower 4" spring and the softer ride of my Rough Country EZ-ride. It's really a 5" spring lift now though, this and my axles required me to get 6" shocks.

Good luck.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I found a set of 3/4 ton axles by placing a wanted add on a local web site's free classified adds. Got mine for $250.00 . So don't get dicouraged, Just take your time and look around, deals on parts come and go all the time. Hell, you might even be able to find a complete parts 3/4 ton truck for a couple hundred bucks.

17. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'd definately go with 6". You might want to go bigger one day and with 6" you can fit a bigger tire just by cutting the fender. Also, I'd DEFINATELY install a tranny temp guage. You're gonna be running bigger tires and will be pushing more air moving down the road. If it gets too hot, pull over and idle it in neutral. It will be fine as long as you keep it cool. If it gets hot on a regular basis, add a cooler.