Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tuff Country/BDS 4" Springs --- DID A SEARCH

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Langosta39, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Tuff Country/BDS 4\" Springs --- DID A SEARCH

After searching I have found that TC EZs are 295lbs/in and TC HDs are 495 lbs/in, while BDS are 415lbs/in. Also that the TC EZs are not recommened for big block apps becasue they will wear out and not lift the given amount.

I have a 454/465/205 and will be putting a big ol' bumper up front so I have a pretty heavy load on the front. That makes me think TC HDs or BDS, but I have no idea what 415lbs/in vs 495lbs/in will be like, so I need some advice from those of you out there with various setups. How much net lift have you achieved with your springs and vechicle configuration?

thanks,
    andy

2. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Re: Tuff Country/BDS 4\" Springs --- DID A SEARCH

Man I was about to ask the same sort of question. Everybody says to run TC EZs but I am not sure if they will hold up to all the weight. But then how much flex do we loose if we go with a stronger spring?

3. Langosta39

Ok, is ANYONE running the Tuff Country HD springs?

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, here's some minor corrections to the spring rates you listed. The BDS 4" springs are 425 lb/in and have a 4.75" free arch....these figures come straight from an e-mail response I got from BDS. And, CK5 has the T.C. HD's listed at 395 lb/in with a 4.75" free arch.

I have none of the springs you're talking about, but let me throw in my $.02.
    First let's understand how spring rates are measured (you may know this, but for others, here it is) the spring rate is the amount of weight necessary to produce 1 inch of deflection. Imagine putting a spring with a 495 lb/in spring rate upside-down on the ground and stacking 495 lbs on it. Assuming the friction on the ground is negligible, that spring will compress 1 inch. Make sense? Not too difficult, really.
    Now, I'm running Rough Country springs up front with 604 in/lb. They are stiff, but I think I need them, as my truck has a 7' western plow on it and even when the plow isn't on, the frame mount is pretty heavy duty. My truck sits level without the plow, and with the plow on, there is a somewhat noticeable drop in the front-end height (maybe right around an inch). With that said, and you running a heavy bumper and a 454, I would go with the BDS springs because of the higher spring rate, and I haven't heard a bad thing about them yet. (If you're wondering why I got an e-mail response from them, it was because I was inquiring about the same springs to put under my truck in place of the R.C's) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Langosta39

Thanks for the input. I just read on the TC web site that the HDs are 495lbs/in, but I get the idea, so I'll probably go with those.

Where have any of you gotten TC springs at good prices?

andy

6. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

www.offroaddesign.com has tuff country springs at good prices.

TRey

7. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

www.offroaddesign.com has tuff country springs at good prices.

TRey