Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tuff country lift advice needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by evil bastard, Mar 24, 2000.

1. evil bastard

evil bastard Registered Member

hello, next weekend myself and 2 others are installing my 4" spring lift to my 74. ive been goin through it in my head, and i think the easiest way would be to remove u bilts from one side, take off springs, replace with new springs, then bolts. this would allow me to keeop the axle in place(brake lines) id really appreciate little details like this from experienced folks.

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I did mine one axle at a time. Jacked up the truck and put the frame on a large set of jack stands, then the axle on a small set, took off the wheels and went to work. Used the jack to lower the axle, going down till the axle just left the perches and let it rest on the jackstands. Then put in the new springs and attached them to the axle last.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I DID MINE YOUR WAY...I TOOK OFF THE WHEELS AND SINCE THEY GIVE ME NEW U-BOLTS I TOOK A SAWZALL AND JUST SPLIT THE OLD ONES IN HALF. TOOK ALL OF 45 SEC. TO CUT BOTH U BOLTS. DONE ONE SIDE, THEN THE OTHER. ME MYSELF AND I HAD IT DONE IN HALF A DAY? W/NO AIR TOOLS...NOT REAL ROUGH. NEVER HAVE EXTENDED THE BRAKE LINES AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM? MAYBE LUCKY WHO KNOWS. GOOD LUCK.

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

4. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I did it one side at a time also....put the front end on stands..remove tires, put a floor jack under one side, remove u-bolts, lower jack, unbolt leafspring, replace with new leaf, raise axle, then bolt new u-bolt. repeat for the three other sides. peice of cake! I did have to cut off my rear u-bolts. i used a torch....about 15seconds. just don't heat the axle tude, you could screw up your seals.
    Good luck