Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tuff Country or BDS 6" springs? More flex better ride?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jan 29, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Tuff Country or BDS 6\" springs? More flex better ride?

Which has a good ride and alot of flex?
    I've been thinking about Tuff Country Soft Rides but have run across some BDS springs....
    Opinions? I've never rode on either!
    Thanks, Jeremiah

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Tuff Country or BDS 6\" springs? More flex better ride?

I've never ridden in a truck with Tuff Country springs, but a friend has a 6" BDS all springs lift on his pick up and I like the ride. Seams good in the flex also. I've never owned either, but I'd go BDS.

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

My 4" Tuff Country EZ Rides give my truck a stock ride and flex like a mofo.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My 6" TC springs seem to flex really well. I dont have any experience with the BDS springs.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

No experience with DBS.. but i LOVE my 6" TC springs. Rides almost like stock, i suppose.

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I cante remember who posted it, but I remember someone from this site once saying "Asking which springs are better is like asking which girl is the prettiest..."

I believe its going to be personal choice... That said, I have gone with a Tuff Country lift personally for the $$ and spring rate they were the best choice for me.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got 4" BDS and, as far as it goes, I like them. However, they have the typical lift spring problem in that the shackle is completely wrong, they are too short (just like all the rest). In the future, I will always order more lift than I need, then remove a leaf (or two) to get it down where I want it. Softer, more flexy, and the dearched higher lift main spring will push the shackle back where it belongs. All you need then is a longer shackle so that compression extension will not hit the frame. On mine I'll soon be running an 8" main leaf on top of a 4" pack (for a net lift of 4" since the main leaf can't support the weight) and a 7" home built shackle...

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

BadDog, how true was the 4" lift that you got from BDS. I mean, was it a full 4 inches? I'm debating whether or not to swap out my Rough Country front 4" springs for some BDS ones in order to get some better ride comfort. But, as you may know, Rough Country has tall 4" lifts. And, being that I only want to mess with the front, and not the rear, I want to know if my truck will be sitting level with Rough Country 4" out back and 4" BDS up front. I've also got some added weight up front because of my plow mount. So, basically, would you be able to fit 35's on a truck with the 4" BDS springs and stock fenders? If so, then I guess they'd be comparable in height to Rough Country....because I could get 35's in there no problem if I wanted to. Thanks.

9. BadDog

Hmm, hard to say. My rig is much lighter than most, and I got a bit over 4" of lift. You need to ask someone who has a full bodied K5, maybe with heavy bumper and winch to simulate the plow. Also, as I'm sure you know, 35s usually require a bit of trimming with only 4".

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I've got 5.5" BDS springs front & rear. I was going to go with Tuff Country springs but I think they have flat cut ends instead of tapered & rounded like the BDS & I'm not sure about the teflon inserts. Either way; I went with the BDS springs after speaking alot with Shawn Spickler who switched to them. They're quality looking springs with a no questions asked warranty & a fairly soft spring which actually sits about an inch taller than they're rated. ie. the 6" are alomst 7 til broke in.
    BDS tech support is also awesome!!

Overall; very nice springs! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have a 6" all spring BDS lift and have to agree with everything you said. You can't beat a no questions asked warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. BadDog

Yeah, Shawn is the (main) person who convinced me. From everything I've heard, they are one of the best (flexy and lasting) springs you can get without paying for custom Alcan's or similar. Add in the unbeatable warranty, great customer support, and competative price... For me the answer was clear, even though I had to drive 45 minutes each way to get to the nearest distributor. The only other option that *I* would consider would be the TCs from Stephen (ORD). They are very nice, very soft and flexy, but not sure how good the warranty is. Stephen also has a deal to get some custom(?) springs with a longer main leaf for a good price. If you don't want to play with leafs like I'm doing, you might think about calling him about those. Greg72 has the prototype set and I think he is very happy...