Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TUFF COUNTRY OR BDS???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Sep 21, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Its about that time that I order or go get my front springs this week. I am shackle flipping the rear so I dont have to worry about those. I need 4" front springs though. I am just going to ask which yall prefer. I will be running them with swaybar disconnects if that makes any difference. I know the BDS are a little more pricey but both will be under $300 and that is alright with me. I just cant decide to go with the tuff country or the bds. A little info. for you though: 87K5 350 700r4 14b rear with stock springs and shackle flip, it will be daily driven as my only vehicle, and will do some pretty good four wheeling. Which springs flex better, and which are stiffer? I am just wanting to make sure I get the right springs for me. I **think** I am going BDS but just want to make sure. Thanks for looking.
    -Harrison

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

go here...

JD's offroad

4" BDS front springs are $90 each. Both springs are softer than your average lift spring, but the Tuffcountry EZ rides are the softest. Forget the exact lbs/in, but the TCs are pretty much the softest springs you can get. might not be the best if you dont run a sway bar and you do run onroad a lot. If it means anything, once I get the time to deal with it I'm going with BDS's...

j

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got bds, love it. Dont know about TC but BDS warranty (atleast on paper havent had to use it) is unbeatable. If it breaks, they send ya a new one. Case closed lol.

4. jekbrown

oh yeah good call, almost forgot about the warranty... one more good reason to go BDS... especially if you plan on abusing ur rig offroad someday. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well good! Sounds like everybody agrees on BDS then.
    -Harrison

6. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I'll stand by tuff country...
    I had the tough country ezrides HD. 4 inch springs. THey ride so soft and they are really tough. My only problem with a spring warranty is this...
    you have to send the broken spring (a broken spring is a major f-up on a trail...good luck repairing this damage) to the place. That's not cheap! Hopefully, they replace it. Tuff country springs were the softest spring I've ever used and I've had many different brands of lifts including rancho.

7. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I don't have any experience with Tuff Country, but I have BDS springs and have used their warranty.

I am not sure how I managed to warp a rear spring, but I did and it sagged 1.5" lower than the other side. When I talked to BDS the said no problem, they sent me two new rear springs because they said with a new and old spring, they might not settle the same. Replaced both rear springs and not had a problem since.

8. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I have 4" BDS up-front and shackle flip rear w/ no sway-bars. I did drive my truck on the street around town and to/from work for a while. Springs are stiff enough to give decent on road characteristics w/o a sway-bar but still soft enough to provide a very good level of articulation off-road. The ride quality is also very good. Don't fool yourself though they still ride like a lifted truck, they just happen to ride better than most other brands of lifted leaf springs I'm familiar with.

Lance

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I called up my local BDS dealer today and they quoted me $243 for the front springs with bushing and u-bolts. Good price if you ask me. I am going down there next week to pick them up. The reason I choose BDS if any of yall are wondering is 1)the no questions asked warranty. 2)they are stiffer than tuff country's so they will have good road manners, but at the same time are soft for a lifted spring for flex. Thanks for all of the input guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How about sagging? I've heard Tuff Countrys sag, I couldn't take much saggin, I will be working on clearing 37s with 4" springs and minimal stuff so it wouldn't be good. Local dealer wants $130 a spring for BDS 4" without U Bolts, but with Shipping I will probably be saving compared to Tuff Country.

11. jekbrown

$260 for just springs? tell the guy JDs online can get em to ya for less (forget the exact total, www site can tell ya) and see if he'll lower his price or match. most stores will begrudgingly take a small profit over no profit. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well I went on JD's site and didn't see the springs anywhere I will call.

13. jekbrown

they are on there.. the site just sucks when it comes to layout. 4" BDS fronts are $90.99 each + shipping, from what I remember...

j

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

alright gonna get 4" BDS from JD most likely. They quoted me $80 a spring without bushings and he said bushings are like $20 off the top of his head. But I would probably get greasable bushings from ORD so I may just forget those.

15. jekbrown

wow, $80 a spring? no bushings? I know the bushings in my front springs are in good shape... i oughta call em up... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

go for it man, sounds sweet to me. I think I'm gonna be doing 4" BDS, ORD shackles, and zero rates up front. Looking for flex but I need to make clerance for those 37 MT/Rs.

17. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Your setup sounds a lot like mie is going to be. Im going to be running the echobit flip in the rear. 4" bds springs up front, all to clear the 37" mt/r's. BTW, Do you already have your mt/r's? I know they are really hard to find in 37" right now and are all on backorder.
    -Harrison

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I do not have them yet, I called a dealer today adn they claimed they can get them no problem for me, $207 a tire. Not the cheapest but I save on shipping. Even if I have to wait till January it wouldn't be bad, I lost my license till December so its not like I'll be missing much. I'm going to run a custom flip rear with 3/4 eliptical suspension and 57" springs.

19. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Tire Rack list 37 x 12.5 x 15 Goodyear MTR's for a $174 / tire, SHIPPED. They are on backorder, but if you don't need them right away you'd save about $130. Might be worth looking into.

Also, a guy in my 4x4 club had Wal-Mart price match minus 10% for these same tires and got them for ~$160. He did say it wasn't a simple process, but he got the tires cheaper than anywhere he had seen advertised. Something else to consider.

20. jekbrown

$207 does sound a lil steep... u could get 39.5 IROKs for about that.

j