Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tuff Country springs... help!!

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Topdown, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok...I bought a set of 4" TC springs and a 1" zero for the rear and a set of 4" front TC springs. after getting the zero and the rears installed, all looks great! I then install the fronts and POW... the K5 sits about 2" taller in front than rear... did I get 6" fronts? I cant find any stampings on the springs to tell me what part # they are. all I have is the sticker on the top of the leaf. (TCI-CX4M) Help... this will make weekday #2 and day 4 total that the K5 has been in the garage (1-full day searching for U-bolts because I forgot to order them)

Should I use a 2" front spring for a 4" rear?
    Should I use a 6" rear for a 4" front?
    Did I just get the wrong spring and am freaking out for no good reason? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

help?

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Just to get the question out of the way: Did you preload the bushings? i.e. tighten the spring bolts to spec prior putting the weight of the vehicle on the springs. My 2" lift HD springs actually netted me about 3.5".

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Check the part # on the rear springs, the fronts are right. Actual lift can vary depending on a lot of factors but you should be closer than that.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

whats so wrong with a 2" height diff? my sub has about that much and i like the way it looks! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Scott

Is there any reason other than a personal style choice to have the rear sag on your burb (lower center of gravity)? I havent gotten the physics of CG figured out yet (per the arcane formulas someone posted a thread in the garage) but I would think lower is lower.

I love to put heavy stuff (lumber, cement, bricks, huge storm-felled log rounds) in the back of mine and am gonna do my da*ndest to keep the rear a bit higher than the front when I lift mine, unless you got some logic for keeping it lower at which point I would have to start doing some more thinking.

Ben

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You might want to go with the lower rate springs for ride quality and ad a rear air bag set for hauling heavy load or pulling a trailer when needed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

2'' of height difference... HAH!! my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif has been sporting the prerunner/ saggy ass stance for over a year, it started at 6'' lower, then 7'' /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, then 5'' and now 2 5/8'' /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I have noticed better landings from big air with the ass end lower, it seems to shift more weight to the rear thus creating better balance. Also equals more broken rear axles /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The look works for me, butttttt.... I am getting tired of dragging ass over every ledge I drop off of, I think removing weight from the front end to balance it out would be the better approach. BTW hauling anything more than my spare tire and a couple of passengers is a no no in my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Bruce

I'm not sure what you mean by the rear air bag set. You messing w/ me? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ben

9. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Jay

If I ever catch serious air in my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif, I'll be sure to post a thread on it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I never consider the prospect of lower rear stance for landings - that would probably make tippage a whole lot less likely, eh? Me, I try to personally keep as many wheels on the ground at all times, but I'm not a flight instructor. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ben

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I mean something like this... [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Bruce

Thanks for the clarification! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You've given me a whole new way to lose sleep tonight - on Air Lift's website! For a while there it seemed like I might not have anything to do!

Ben

12. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

you are right... the fronts are the correct springs, but the rears are/were wrong... easy enough to fix. I took out some 3" blocks, I will just put em back in!

Thanks Stephen! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. Stephen

I'm guessing that you didn't buy them here since I can't find your name anywhere but what about talking to whoever did sell you the springs about getting the right ones? I can understand a 1" block in the rear but they should be closer than 3".

14. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Is there any reason other than a personal style choice to have the rear sag on your burb (lower center of gravity)?

[/ QUOTE ] i pretty much prefer the way it looks.

15. Stephen

I have run into some braking problems with the "saggy butt" only in a bit different situation. My wife had a tacoma at one point with a pop up camper and I did notice better braking after I put a set of overload leaves on it to help it sit more level when the camper was on loaded. I didn't analyze this too deep so at least part of it may have been the better handling due to the extra stiffness but I think it helped distribute the braking load a little better from front to rear. And visibility was improved too.