Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tuff country srpings on 71

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Max, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Max

Max 1/2 ton status

Heya,
    I have a 71 Jimmy and got the 4 inch TC HD lift from yall. I have been playing with it lately, now that it is running, and it does not seem to really articulate that well. The set I got has 4 springs and seems pretty stiff. Do I need to loosen up the spring clamps to get a little more travel? Is there an optimum shackle length that is needed?? At rest, the shackle is about vertical, is this right? Thanks for your help.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

One thing you could try is pulling the bottom leaf out of the front pack if you're not running a winch or something else heavy on the front. That should help. The front shackle will end up about vertical, that sounds right.
    You can mess with the spring clamps to see if they'll separate a little more. You may not gain a lot, but it won't hurt.
    The rear doesn't have a lot of leeway, about all you can do there is put in the greasable bushings to free it up a little. They will also help the front a little too.
    Hope this helps

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

3. Max

Max 1/2 ton status

Actually, I am getting quite a nice flex in the rear. We took 3 of the 7 or 8 leaves out of the pack and it works quite nice back there now. Thanx for the reply and the help!! Impressive service, as usual. BTW, would a greasable front shackle help it move easier perhaps?