Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tuffy console fitment issues???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by personaltrainer, May 30, 2005.

1. personaltrainer

personaltrainer 1/2 ton status

I went to instal the console in the truck and it looks great but with one acception - the rear of the console seems to have a fitment problem. The tranny hump gets in the way of the rear bracket of the console making the legs of the console sit about 2-3 inches off the floor. I bought longer bolts to accomodate but the more I think about it - I'm wondering if I was sent the incorrect bracket? I ordered number 017. It was supposed to fit with only drilling 3 holes! I could mount it this way but I'm not sure how good it would look or how stable it would be. any ideas?

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

My Tuffy mounts no were NEAR flush, the bracket in the back touches only in a couple of spots (2 SMALL SPOTS) BUT I've never had a problem with it stability wise. Gave me a nice little spot under the console to put the magnetic key thing :D The rear bracket on mine looked like an inverted V.

BTW, the 2 rear bolts are LOOOOOONG as well. Again, never had a problem. Just use some nylock nuts and you'll be good to go.

KP

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I used the stock console brackets and drilled the Tuffy out so I could mount it to them, instead of drilling body holes. Mines not flush either, the Tuffy is flat bottomed whereas the stock console is molded to fit the floor. I don't even notice. Actually, stock wouldn't use a bracket if it were flush, so even the stock console must not be. :confused:

The stock mounts are strong enough I can sit on the console and it doesn't go anywhere.

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i will try and get a few pics and post tomorrow of how i will be mounting my tuffy console. the brackets they supply are junk.

5. personaltrainer

I called tuffy to find out that "that bracket is made to fit a jeep and you'll have to modify it to fit your truck" when I ordered it they said, "the 017 is made just for your truck, it will bolt right in" Oh well. Looks like I'll have to make it work. Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep you posted and tr yto get some pics up when I finally get the interior in and finished.

6. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

My tuffy bolted right in w/ perfect fit. Looks and works great...also makes a killer arm rest :D no pics though as I am lazy. Oh...also got the second set of cupholders for the rear....one of the best addons you can get.

7. personaltrainer

okay. looks like I'll have to use the longer bolts I bought and make this happen. I'll keep ya'll posted.

8. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i dont have a pic of the console installed cause it is at the back of the garage and buried, but i hope you get the gist of it. theres that flat bar thats welded to the trans hump that has two holes, it was there when i bought the truck so i dont know if its factory. i made the 1 1/2 square tube and angle bracket that bolts to the trans hump bar, then the console sits on top and bolts to it. then i drilled three holes in the console in the back wall so that it will bolt to the piece of angle thats welded to the bed area. there are three 1/4-20 nuts welded to the angle on the back. i use stainless button head allen bolts that go flush to the end of the nuts so they dont stick out. the console is perfect hight so i dont bang my elbows when cranking the wheels back and forth, but still a good arm rest. im striping my floor and repainting it so nothing is in the truck right now. and i took the pics in the dark this morning. theres plenty of room for role cage tubing for the seat mounts to go under the tuffy box aswell. the box sits nice and level too. i powder coated the bracket too gray, at home i have the eastwood kit and an electric oven in the garage.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007