Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tug a war

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73rat, Aug 10, 2003.

1. 73rat

73rat Newbie

I got question that me and my uncle were arguing about...were going to have a pulling contest my 73 blazer with 35 mtr's and 4:10 gears, lockers front a rear, with a doubler; vs. his 02 f-250 with a triton v-10 and 35's. its gonna be held on the street...who would win? Would his wieght overpower my gears? Or would he break traction before me? Please let me know i got $500 riding on this thanks

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

that v10 is a pathetic pig...it needs LOTS of RRRRs to move...

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I don't know who would win, but there better be lots of pictures!!!! I would think that you would have the advantage with all your gearing. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Kris

4. 73rat

73rat Newbie

but since he weighs so much more than me would that be a limiting factor?

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I would recomend finding some dirt and getting off the pavement. It'd be more fun and less risk of breaking stuff. I would think yall would both break free eventually but those superduty's are rediculously heavy...

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

weight is definetly the issue, through as much stuff in your blazer as possible to try to match the weight of that superduty, BTW you are at least 3/4 ton right??

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yea find some dirt, pevement will break both trucks, try to weigh your truck down to match the weight of the furd. and i hope yur not half ton.

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

no to mention throw rocks at people and other cars. The super duty will beat you due to sheer weight, but if you get him off the line and get your stamina you should have him. The v10s need a ton of rrr's to make any decent amount of power. But you do have traction on your side. Definitely do it on some dirt or something. After just a few second of pullin here at our party we destroyed the driveway. HUUGGEE ruts.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

are you guys doing this in 2wd or 4wd?

I think you'd acutally win. Most pickups are quite light in the rear, they will become dependent on the front axle to have the most friction. Of course, if he has an open front, he'll just do a one wheel burnout. If you've got some sticker tires than he does, you should be able to beat him.

Oh yeah, please dont use a chain. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

You'd probably blow some u joints or axle shafts or something if you did it on pavement!

11. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Toss some weight in the back of your K5. Don't spin your tires, once you do that you lose traction. Keep an eye on his tires in your mirror, once they start spinning then take advantage of it. If you're doing it on pavement then put it in 4WD and lock only one of the hubs so you don't bust anything.

12. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

here soon im gonna b pulling a Dodge with a cummins and a banks stinger turbo kit. i have a lil more riding on this pull though.....like a new set of tires. but n e wayz....i know that he is heavier than me....but i sit higher, i have detroits F&R, im 1 ton, and i have bigger tires,and lower gears. so technically i should win....but i guess we'll see when the time comes. i just need a hitch really bad /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

NITRO

13. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Who sits up higher? The person that sits lower would have his rearend lifted which would lose traction and pull the taller truck down resulting in more traction.
    Hope this makes sense.
    The Superduty might have weight over you, but if you short strap him, you would have a better chance of winning that money.
    Another thing...when you do this...hit the gas hard and get the your momentum going your way. The experience I have seen, the person that gets on the gas slowly is the loser.
    Dirt is the next thing to work on. Pavement equals breakage.
    That is all I have to say about this,
    Mike B /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

we always do it on the pavement, weight does really help though tell him to to be scared and let you load your k5 full of people when you do it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you have good brakes you can probably hold them when he trys to pull you as soon as his tires spin over then start to pull he wont be able to do anything but spin then /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that has a 2wd ford stepside with a V6 he loads the floor boards and bed with bricks and he will out pull damn near everything you can think of.

Point...

Weight = success (did I spell that right?)
    Load your K5 with bricks

16. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Load er up as heavy as you can! Try to at least match his weight.

17. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Hold the brake until his tires start spinnin... then slowly hit the gas.

18. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hold the brake until his tires start spinnin... then slowly hit the gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifReminds me of the tug-a-war I was in at a local race track, on pavement. Had my '88 V30 SRW crewcab 6.2/th400/NP205/4.10s open diffs. Beat out a new Dodge/cummins, he just nailed the throttle and smoked the tries. Came down to a new SD ford CC/long bed with PSD and myself.
    He outweighted me so bad.....
    I had the brakes on when they dropped the flag and he just dragged me with all four wheels locked up.
    Gearing don't mean squat if you are extremely mis-matched in weight. Don't forget the ford has a 2.72ish low range and most likely 3.73/4.10s, not a shabby combo.

I beat out newer suburbans/tahoes with a gearing/motor advantage just from a weight advantage.